Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Hello,

I just got a new Mac Pro 2x Xeon, with NVidia graphics (512 MB RAM). After trying 2 different displays and different connection variants I finally found one working setup.

Only with a monitor connected via VGA cable to the second output, I get working display output during boot process and thereafter. Once that was working, I could connect a second display (Eizo 24", 1920x1200) via DVI to the first graphics output and got it working. It is enabled not during boot (no gray background and no apple image), it is enabled as the login screen appears. The VGA connected display uses the default 1024x768 instead of available 1600x1200. Higher resolution settings are not available from the control panel.

So my question is, is there a known problem with different kind of DVI cables or displays (DVI 'dual link'?) and the new NVidia graphic cards inside the current Mac Pro? May this be some kind of strange hardware failure? I think this is the most likely cause. Both displays and monitor cables do work fine with PC and an older Mac Mini (single core intel). As the system got delivered yesterday, I wonder whether I should ask for a exchange graphics card or if I should send back the whole system.

Thanks for your help or comments,

Chrishh

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Sounds like something is wrong with your card - I have two 20" displays hooked up via DVI to my 8800 GT and they both work perfectly.

chris777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Got it working :-D

I got the display output working correctly by reseting the "PRAM" during boot :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.