Mac Pro octo 08 16GB ram splitting hairs question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Shelob, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Shelob macrumors newbie

With out going into it I have 8GB (4x2) matched (for real, all 4 have the same part #) and 2 sets of 4GB (2x2) matched.

Based on what I've read I put the 8GB matched in riser 1 slot 1 & 2 and riser 2 slot 1 & 2 and 1 4GB matched in slot 3 & 4 on each riser. Does this seem right or should I have the 8GB on the same riser. Or does it make no real difference.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Your largest RAM modules should always be in slots A1 A2 B1 B2. Put your smallest modules in slots 3 and 4 which are slower (they have a higher latency).

That way, you spend most of your time accessing the faster RAM.

3. krye macrumors 68000

krye

4. bigbird macrumors 6502

Huh? Isn't 8GB (4 x 2) exactly the same as 2 sets of 4GB, which would be
    2 X (2 X 2)? It sounds like you have 8 sticks of 2GB RAM for a total of 16GB. If that's so then your question makes no sense. If you have 2 sets of 4GB, then you have (2 X 4), not 2 X 2 like you stated. In that case put the 2 X 4 in Riser A, slots 1 and 2.

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I know there must be a typo somewhere in that sentence.

Really, try to explain again this time, properly.

6. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

It's truly amazing how many hundreds of posts have been written about memory configuration in the 2008 MPs. Never before have so many been so confused about so little.

7. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

That's because newbies almost never searched the board before they start a thread. Hence the numerous repeated threads on the same questions.

8. Shelob thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been around the block a few times and I've read most of the posts and didn't come across this question.

Yes I have 8 2GB sticks and bought them on three ocassions. I bought 4GB (2 x 2GB) twice and each of those pairs is matched to themselves. I then bought 8GB (4 x 2G) and all 4 of those are matched to each other, all 4 have the same part number.

My question is not about the size, they're all the same size, I read enough to know the order of mismatched sizes. Barefeats says 8 sticks of the same size works the best and I really didn't have the cash to max it out at 32GB. I'm asking about the placement of the matched pairs. Here's what I have (I'm just making up the part number for this example):

2GB prt# 1
    2GB prt# 1
    2GB prt# 1
    2GB prt# 1
    2GB prt# 2
    2GB prt# 2
    2GB prt# 3
    2GB prt# 3

Should the prt#1 sticks go in slots 1 & 2 on both risers or all on the same riser.

If you read the name of the post I said I was splitting hairs.

9. bigbird macrumors 6502

You've got 8 X 2GB sticks. Even though 4 of them are from the same manufacturer, they are all considered identical. Your order is fine, as is every other combination, because they are all matched.

10. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Sounds good. If you really wanted to split hairs you could put the "better" brands in riser 1 slot 1 & 2 and riser 2 slot 1 & 2. That's if the three groups are different manufacturers.

11. Shelob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. That is the way I put them in, the 4 are in slots 1 & 2 on both risers.

12. bigbird macrumors 6502

What does that mean? RAM is RAM. If it meets the specs it was designed for then it's all the same, no better or no worse than any other brand. Whether it's Hynix (Apple's RAM), Samsung, OWC, NuImpact, Crucial, Certified, etc etc etc it's just the same performing RAM. Don't worry about it.