Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masmullin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Hello

Im thinking about purchasing a 2.8ghz 8 core mac pro from refurb ($2500CND). I have a few questions before I do this though

Im not a graphics whore, nor will this system be used for games (I need raw number crunching power), but I will need 3+ monitors. along side the ATI 2600 XT that the system comes to, can I buy another ati 2600 xt from say bestbuy and use 4 monitors? Will any stock ATI 2600 xt do... or must I get a "mac special" vid card?

Do I have to get special mac RAM to upgrade? What would you suggest I upgrade to.

System Usage:
I will be heavily using vmware fusion.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
The 2600 would work but it's expensive, despite its age. You do need a Mac version, as it has different firmware (EFI based, rather than BIOS). Take a look at the ATI 3870 PC & Mac edition, as it's less expensive, and you don't seem to want much in the way of raw power. ;)

If you do a search on the forum, you can find out quite a bit about this card, and the possibility of flashing a PC card. It saves money, but you have to get the right card (correct flash ROM chip) to hold the firmware. It might open up the possibility of using a better card though, if you're interested. ;)

For memory, you don't need anything Apple branded. OWC would be a good source, as it's the correct specs (800MHz ECC). (The heatsinks Apple used is different from most 3rd party memory, but can be found from other vendors, such as Kingston and Crucial). It's on the memory OWC sells. :)

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
Mac Pro (2009) Video Cards / Two Dual-DVI ports.

Is there a compatable video card, for the new Mac Pro line, that supplies two Dual-DVI ports?

Having to pay another $99 for Mini-DisplayPort to Dual-DVI adaptor is very annoying (for each card).

And is the older ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT card still good for this new box? Thanks.

:(

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Is there a compatable video card, for the new Mac Pro line, that supplies two Dual-DVI ports?

Having to pay another $99 for Mini-DisplayPort to Dual-DVI adaptor is very annoying (for each card).

And is the older ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT card still good for this new box? Thanks.

:(
Without the need for adapters or flashing, the only thing I'm aware of for certain, is the nVidia Quadro 4800 for Mac. Not cheap by any means, but does have 2x DVI ports. ;)

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
nVidia Quadro 4800 / good but no good.

Without the need for adapters or flashing, the only thing I'm aware of for certain, is the nVidia Quadro 4800 for Mac. Not cheap by any means, but does have 2x DVI ports. ;)

Thanks. The Quadro 4800 looks like a great video card, but it has way more GPU muscle than we need (and the price $$). Also, it is a double-slotter, so you can only install one on the MP4. And it probably sucks up a lot of juice, which would cripple the other slots. :eek:

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
Mac Pro v4 / GPU later.

Guess I'll have to wait until Apple clarify compatibilty and/or further mac video cards start to arrive for the Mac Pro v4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.