Mac pro Octo early 08 graphics questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dudeofblokes, Sep 3, 2009.

1. dudeofblokes macrumors regular

carrickfergus, northern ireland, united kingdom
    Hi guys sorry to be a pain these quetions have already been asked I'm sure but thought I'd ask in one threat, any help is apprecaited

I have a mac pro 8 core 2008 model and was wondering a few things about the graphics,

1st I have the ati radeon 2600 xt to upgrade am I'm limited to the nvidia geforce 8800gt and nvidia quadro fx 5600?

2nd is the geforce 8800 worth upgrading to, moreso when I can get the card for £80

lastly on eBay I see various listings for geforce
    but the ones that mention
    mac pro are considerably higher, is there a defference even if they look exactly the same?

Many thanks in Advance

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

You can upgrade to the 8800GT, GT 120, GTX 285 from EVGA, several Quadro models and the ATi 3870 or 4870 cards. Out of those, I'd probably opt for the GTX 285 or the 4870.

Macs don't accept PC video cards normally, but some can be flashed or hacked to work. This is why Mac cards cost more, and are specifically labelled.

3. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

carrickfergus, northern ireland, united kingdom
    Thank you, mac tracker only showed three models for that model of mac pro this gives me more choice, thanks again

4. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Is their any difference between the 4870 and GTX285 as far as open CL and/or SL is concerned?

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The driver implementaton will be different. Until you see apps with open CL there will be no good answer which will be better. One could make an educated guess that GTX285 will be better. It was better with Windows and Apple have been working very close lately with NVIDIA.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

From what can be told so far, the NVIDIA cards are better than ATi at OpenCL, so the GTX 285 is the pick of the bunch.