Mac Pro Onboard Raid...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by David N, Jul 4, 2008.

1. David N macrumors member

What am I able to do with the mac pro onboard RAID? Could I do 4x750gb drives in RAID1+0, or would I need the RAID card for that?

Would I be better off with a 64 or 128gb SSD for my boot/apps, 2 750gb drives in RAID1 for storage and a 74gb raptor for a scratch disk? My interests lie in photoshopping 25MP+ images and it's not uncommon to be working with 1gb+ files.

I already have the raptor and 2 750gb drives, so my costs are the same either way... I'd rather not get the RAID card though, that's taking the price a bit too high...

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes.

Why SSD? Too expensive, imho. Just get a decent drive for OS/Apps. Maybe a Velociraptor max, and pocket the difference. The savings could buy a RAID controller at least.

If you have the money available, a RAID card would give you better overall performance. Start out with an internal system, and build out from there if needed. There are a few cards that could be had for ~$300 (internal only) and go up. Depends on exactly what you need.

There's a few threads on the forum, hopefully it could help.

Nanofrog.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

The Mac Pro does not have an onboard RAID controller. You are able to perform RAID through OS X that is called a software RAID. At its current state, OS X supports RAID 0 and 1. I am not sure if a software RAID through OS X can support nested RAID 0+1 or 1+0.

4. matt321 macrumors member

You can do a Soft Raid 1+0 but I suggest you setup it via terminal off the OS X Install disk, Disk Utility doesn't work half the time. Then reboot. Then install OS X.