Mac Pro optical drive bays as HDD or SSD slot?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gieppetto, Apr 5, 2011.

1. gieppetto macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I've been thinking... could the Mac Pro's ODD bays accomodate a hard drive enclosure thing the same way the current MBP line can? Would that be a possibility for 2.5" drives? Could make for some pretty interesting RAID 6-ish combos.

Thanks for any info, I searched around but couldn't find an answer.

2. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

Hey,

Yes you are right and it's a popular move to do so. I have removed my ODD (there you go Nano :)) and have placed two SSD's in both Sata connections. So I run 2 SSD's in Raid 0 and then the 4 Drive Bays I have a 4 Disk Mechanical Drive Raid 0 setup.

6 drive Raid 0 sounds amazing though I believe the Mac Pro bandwidth is saturated at 3. Someone here for sure will know the answer to that. Also I thikn you then need a RAID card. Again someone else can answer that for sure though.

:)

3. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

4. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I can't figure out how to plug in the 2nd SSD. Do I have to unplug the Super Drive to accomplish this? I only see the 1 cable for SSD, and the 2nd cable goes to the Superdrive. Am I missing something?

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Nope. You are not missing anything. You need to not use the DVD drive if you want 2 SSD's in there.