Mac Pro Optical Drive is giving me problems... but only for some DVDs!HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NikoAlphonso, Dec 14, 2010.

1. NikoAlphonso macrumors newbie

Ok so i have an early 2008 Mac Pro, that has been reformatted couple days ago.

So when i install my softwares again and i realized some of the DVDs can't be read anymore, the drive just makes a certain sound every 5 secs or so and eventually it just ejects by itself.

Now the weird part and the thing i just don't get is why it's only like that for certain DVDs.

For example, i was installing Ableton Suite 8 again, and there are 4 discs. For some reason disc 2-4 work but the Disc 1 doesn't read at all. And i know it's not a problem with the DVDs cause they work on my macbook pro and even my PC. And i tried to burn a copy of that disc 1 into a blank DVD and tried to run that to install and it worked, so it can't be any data issues or whatever with the DVD.

Is this a firmware issue? if so how do i fix this? I thought at first it could just be because i reformatted my mac recently and then this all happened. But i've reformatted my mac several times before and never had this problem.

Or this is optical drive just laming out and its time to buy a new one?

But then again why does it work for some DVDs and not for others? It's just BUGGING me ALL DAY.

oh and the drive model is:

Sony NEC optiarc AD-7170A

If it is indeed a hardware issue, please recommend me a new decent drive to get. Thanks!

2. G4DP macrumors 65816

Is it an Optiarc drive by any chance? They seem to be failing alot.

I've just had exactly the same problem.

Obviously if it's still under AppleCare, give them a call. They should sort it out no problem.

It was replaced with a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D. So if you can get one of them it will work in your Mac Pro. I'm sure there are many other 08 owners who can chip in though.