Mac Pro or Custom PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Secret Legend, May 28, 2010.

1. Secret Legend macrumors newbie

Hey guys so right now I am kicking butt with my iMac i7, but I want something more professional like a Mac Pro or a Custom Built PC, but I am super confused on which to get. I am a video editor, photo editor, and do a lot of encoding and burning DVDs and CDs. Also I do a quite a bit of gaming on a computer (Currently using bootcamp). Also I run servers on my machine through VMware since I don't have windows right there, and I cant be switching back and forth with bootcamp. Plus, I need something that is going to last a while. So what do you guys think? Should I get a Mac Pro or a Custom PC? Any answers are greatly appreciated :)

2. peakchua macrumors regular

mac pro all the way (though pcs would have more raw power)

since you want something to last for a while a have more power, i suggest you wait until the latest, september for a new mac pro the mac pro is slower than the imac as macworld benchmarked. if u love your imac but need something more powerful, apple hasnt rolled out their complete 2010 line. the new line will probably feature 12 core processors, 5xxx gpus, more ram and maybe cheaper prices??? custom pc u can get the specs anyime but i dont really trust windows. im a refugee :p i had dells, lenvos, acers and they all had screwed up problems. get a mac pro!! with 2 superdrives. it works. the pc may have more raw power but winblows doesent know how to manage it it just uses it without multicore technoology like apple does. since u are a mac rumor forum member. MAC+SNOW LEOPARD FTW!!!:)

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I've never seen the draw of mac pros. The price premium for imacs and macbooks is arguable because you get form factors and styling that no other company offers. But mac pros just seem utterly overpriced. Despite uninformed belief, windows 7 does just fine for power users, and manages multicore CPUs and large amounts of RAM very well, M$ just didn't give the resource allocation system a flashy name like grand-central-thingy.

If the imac is too slow, the current mac pros will be slower. If new mac pros do come out (I can see apple phasing them out altogether) you're going to pay a huge premium, and still get mediocre gaming performance at best.

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

dependant on how much you want to spend, a custom PC for say 2K will run rings around a mac pro, even the Hexacore that everyone's waiting for, plus, more compatibility for future upgrades and such.

what sort of money are you thinking of spending?

5. Secret Legend thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the most I will spend on a computer is about $3,500, as of now I'm thinking a custom PC is the way to go.... But I am still not sure

6. brendu macrumors 68020

wait until at least june 7th when steve gives his keynote at WWDC... there is speculation of an updated mac pro then... if it happens and its really a great upgrade then its the way to go... if its a lame upgrade or does not happen, feel no regrets about just going with a sweet windows workstation... windows 7 is solid and hardware is much more easily upgradable (in terms of compatibility not difficulty)...

heres hoping they release light-peak with the mac pro this update!... I know its 99% not going to happen but that would make the mac pro way more appealing than its competition...

7. thehost250 macrumors newbie

Go with your needs

Your needs should be the driving factor as to what platform you choose. This includes the current programs you are using and if you will continue using those programs or switch to something different. Some software is only compatible with a specific platform while others are cross platform. Consider the cost and go from there. Personally, I wanted to switch from Cubase 5 to Logic so I got a Mac Pro. I got the Pro because I also do video editing so I switched to Final Cut as well. That's $1500 of software in addition to the computer cost but it's what I wanted and I'm more than pleased with the performance. I did my homework first and checked out everything beforehand. I was also using CS4 and I still do using Parallels. Again, you should make that decision based on your real needs. I would always take a Pro over any iMac just because of the ability to expand it much more. Needs versus wants and needs should always win.