Mac Pro or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PsyD4Me, Oct 22, 2010.

1. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

would you buy:

One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem” processor (i'll upgrade ram myself)

or a i7 iMac with 8gb of ram and 1tb 7200?

from reading geekbench it seems that two setups are pretty much the same no?

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Yes, they'll have similar performance (although the iMac will edge out the MP in some applications). Do you have a monitor? Are you okay with the glassy iMac display? Do you need the expandability of the MP? Those are the questions you need to answer to decide. What are your uses?

For the record, I went through a similar decision and chose the MP for cheaper and better SSD options, expandability, and because I didn't want the iMac display (I'm a hobbyist photographer and value color/print accuracy).

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If you need either (a) lots of hard drive storage space or like to upgrade your SSDs, and/or (b) want the ability to upgrade graphics cards, get the Mac Pro.

If no, then iMac is mighty attractive machine with a great screen and good price.

4. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Frankly, the iMac should be sufficient for 90% of desktop users. If you really need the extra power, but more importantly, have cash to burn (considering you'll need to get a display as well), then the Mac Pro would be a good option.

5. PsyD4Me thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Guys, I already have a 24" apple cinema, bit I might sell it if i go the iMac route

6. The Beatles macrumors regular

I went with the iMac because the low end mac pro wasnt impressive enough to fork over the cash. My plan is to sell this top of the line iMac after a year and hopefully by then the new mac pro entry model will be more impressive and a better deal. I have had NO performance issues. This thing is amazing. I do have 12 gigs of ram and plan on maxing it out to 16 gigs. This is my first system with ample ram and it makes the whole computing experience so much better.

I work in photoshop, illustrator and indesign. I usually use about 6 gigs of ram for everyday use. But I need 16+ for after effects which i plan on starting shortly.

as i said, i have no complaints about this incredible machine. the only time it slows down is when the flash internet plug in is taking a **** but i usually leave "activity monitor" running and can easily mouse over to the flash "process" to force quit the plug in and instantly, my system gets back to cruising along.

FYI i use Divvy so i never have to manually reposition my windows. I never have to resize them either. I've mapped out the most productive window positions to buttons on my mouse so now with a click of a mouse i move windows around my dual monitor set up. I also use path finder for the tabbed finder windows feature and the ability to open one finder window and with a click of the programmed mouse button that one finder window loads four different tabs. I call this my "every day" finder window. Im all about making the computer do as much of the menial tasks as i can. i really get annoyed with computers and all the little buttons and annoying repetitive tasks so using the above tools really help to alleviate the little things.

Divvy (again, its true power is revealed when you map the window positions to buttons on the mouse)
    http://www.mizage.com/divvy/

7. timgman macrumors newbie

Hey there...sounds like you are a designer since you use the Adobe CS Apps. How is the screen color accuracy on the iMac in your opinion?

I know that is a concern for me in purchasing an iMac since I would like to give my clients color images that are remotely close to what intended them to be.

Yet I also know that color will almost always shift going from screen to print no matter what monitor you use.

would love to hear your thoughts.

8. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

This pretty much sums it up ^

If you don't need RAID using multiple hard drives, are okay with the iMac's display or SSDs then it makes little sense to get the Quad MP over the iMac.

Like above I can't stand the reflective iMac glassy displays (I had one and sold it for a MP) but I know many other designers who love them. It's all about personal preference. If there was a 27in iMac with a matte display I'd own that probably today. (and have saved myself a ton of cash)

Good luck with your decision.

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

If you already have a monitor you're happy to continue using, I'd definitely recommend a refurb 2010 MP over the iMac. If you ignore the iMac's included monitor, the only advantage of the i7 is a very slight clock speed increase. The MP offers many more advantages. Now if you'll never add new HDDs, SSDs, graphics cards, or any other PCIe cards, just get the iMac. Similarly, if you prefer to upgrade your machine by selling and buying a new one in a couple years, iMac is probably a better choice as well. We need some more info on your uses to help you out though.

10. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I'll vote the mac pro too. You can upgrade it later very easily. And you already have a monitor so you can use that.
    Cheers.

11. PsyD4Me thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Fellas I went ahead and got the iMac, I upgrade very 2 years, and the 27 monitor is very nice....

12. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Good choice if you update that frequently. The MP saves money over time as it can easily last 5 years through upgrading the internals. Enjoy your new machine :)

13. The Beatles macrumors regular

Hi timgman,

your right, color accuracy is a problem on monitors. And more so with computers in general. The good news is that clients seem to be less color critical these days. It bummed me out for years, I would always push the importance of getting Match Prints (high end color proofs made from the actual film thats been output) but no one wants to pay anymore. I have found that color is getting better from computer to print. This is surprising and good news for me since the quality of the imagery is very important to the success of the overall piece.

Theres a new profile people are using for sheetfed offset printing called GRACoL. Its being accepted by the whole industry so you wont be on the bleeding edge of color profiles, its well tested. In short, its just a better profile than the standard "U.S. Sheet fed" color profile. You would use this in the "Color Settings" > "CMYK" dialog in PhotoShop. You should be able to download the profile from the web (if you cant find this profile, just use the standard "U.S. sheetfed" and choose coated or uncoated. But if your printing to a web press, like for a magazine or a publication, then choose the "U.S. Web" profile. Check here for that new GRACoL profile:

http://www.idealliance.org/industry_resources/branding_media_and_color/gracol

Also, turn down your monitors brightness. Paper white is never as bright as a monitor. I usually hold up a piece of the paper i know im going to be printing on and try to adjust my monitors brightness to match. And make sure your calibrations white point setting is between D5000 and D65000. Its going to look bad but its more realistic to what you'll get on paper. And when you print, try to get the brightest paper you can if you want colors that pop. You need that extra white to broaden your contrast range. The brighter the paper white, the more contrast your images will have.

All that being said, the imac or any apple monitor isnt the best for color correction. The old CRTs are still better. I'll probably get this device one of these days. It calibrates your monitor, but this device seems a bit weird. I think you have to have the software running all the time. Still, people like it. I dont know, for now i just calibrate by eye.

http://www.amazon.com/Pantone-MEU11...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1288065167&sr=1-3

If money is no object you can get the designer version:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pantone-MEU11...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1288065278&sr=1-1

Just a recap: your right imac and lcd's in general arent good for color correction. But does your client require color critical results? Just calibrate your monitor (by eye or with a device) and make sure your Photoshop settings are set for sheet fed or web printing. Try to turn down the brightness of your monitor to match the paper (dont go crazy on this, just something lower than full bright. Also, learn to trust photoshops "info pallet" when color correcting, go by the percentages, not so much what you see on the screen. Make sure neutrals are balanced and you should be alright. Use your best judgement, if its a sunset scene then if you balance the neutrals, the picture will look weird cause they SHOULD have a high percentage of yellow in the neutrals. So in that case, its not best to balance the neutrals.

I didnt watch this but it could help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PweW75-K84

Thats it for now. Good luck and if you have a specific question, ask.

The Beatles