Mac Pro or Macbook Pro

heehee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
2,464
224
Same country as Santa Claus
I'm a graphic designer using a Mac Mini G4 right now. I don't mind using it since most of the stuff i do is low resolution, but on occasion, I do poster size stuff. Just this week, I made a banner 64 feet wide. :eek:

Anyway, "work" is getting me a Mac Pro, but the Macbook Pro is sweet ( I will wait for the upgrade before getting one). What would you guys choose? BTW, I'm using a 20" ACD right now.
 

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
802
0
Can you convince your boss to get you a macbook pro instead? If so, then you may have a hard decision. I would personally pick a MBP, but that's cause I love laptops and could never own a desktop. If my work depended on the quality of my computer work, I'd go with the mac pro though.
 

heehee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
2,464
224
Same country as Santa Claus
ricgnzlzcr said:
Can you convince your boss to get you a macbook pro instead? If so, then you may have a hard decision. I would personally pick a MBP, but that's cause I love laptops and could never own a desktop. If my work depended on the quality of my computer work, I'd go with the mac pro though.
The Macbook Pro is cheaper, well, depending on spec, so I really don't think he would mind. I'm fine with my Mac Mini G4 right now, so a Macbook Pro will be good enough for me. Decisions... decisions.... :p
 

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
7,241
1
Washington D.C
Well if you can do it on a G4 Mini, Merom would be a HUGE upgrade, but WoodCrest would be even better. Do you use Universal Apps for not yet? If you do, a Merom MacBook Pro would be a lot faster, if not a Macbook Pro would not a be a huge upgrade. It would still be faster but not as much. A Mac Pro would bet a Mini at ANYTHING with enought RAM.


I'd get a Mac Pro. My mother got a PowerBook 17''(it was 2799) and i was think what a best of a PowerMac she could have gotten.
 

macanudo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
138
0
Philadelphia, PA
I am guessing as a graphic designer you are using photoshop, etc. The Xeon processors will run rosetta a lot quicker than the MBP's Core Duo processor, thus will run your graphic apps faster. Unless you absolutely need the portability, get the Mac Pro.
 

Marioz

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
39
0
Rivarolo C.se, Italy
Personally I have a G5 dual and I am waiting for the MacPro, a MacBook Pro and a MacBook.
The one I could NEVER stay w/out is my MBP, second in the list the G5, 3th the MacBook.
If you work w/h a mini G4, any of the new computers will works better even in "Rosetta" apps, so I will stay on a MBP buying.
That solution will bring you a fantastic computer who will follow all your needs even on vacations and any other places.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
heehee said:
The Macbook Pro is cheaper, well, depending on spec, so I really don't think he would mind. I'm fine with my Mac Mini G4 right now, so a Macbook Pro will be good enough for me. Decisions... decisions.... :p

If you can work fine on a Mac Mini G4, then I think that a MacBook Pro would provide plenty of horsepower for you heehee. :)
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,414
124
Location Location Location
The MacPro is obviously faster, but I'd still go with the MBP. I'm one of those people who love laptops, and the MBP offers you lots and lots of power. Not as much power as the Mac Pro, although that may not be an issue whatsoever. The other bad part is the lack of upgradability, but I'd pay that price for portability.

Oh, a Merom MBP and an external Dell or even an ACD would be :eek:
 

heehee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
2,464
224
Same country as Santa Claus
I'm gonna ask the guy who pays for it and see what he thinks about the merom MBP.

When CS3 comes out, it should be pretty fast with the merom MBP, right? I don't do posters that often anyway.

I don't think I will get the 17" MBP though, I think it's too big to carry around. Plus, I use a 20" ACD at work, i can just mirror the display or use dual screen.
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Sometimes the best solution is to hold off just a bit longer.

You'll feel much better about your decision and your company will appreciate
your research to do what is best in the longrun.

The Mac Pro is a perfectly safe investment at this time.

If you're going to a portable solution, give it 3 weeks and then consider your options if we see Merom based NoteBooks.






My company just spent over $3mil on new computers 3 months ago.

I was powerless to influence their decision, but I knew they were blowing it big time.