Mac Pro or MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lee.anderson, Aug 9, 2009.

?

Which one would you pick?

1. Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. MacBook Pro 17 inch 3.06GHz

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

I've saved up enough money to buy the Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz, but i'm having doubts.
    I keep glancing at the 17 inch MacBook Pro 3.06GHz, it looks so nice :rolleyes:

I've weighed up the pros and cons of each machine, and they have come up pretty equal in my eyes. So it comes down to a random choice between the two.

As i'm terrible at making decisions, maybe some of you could help me?
    If you had the choice between the two, which one would you pick?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I would choose portability. But that's my so-called lifestyle.
    My desktop computer gets hardly used anyway.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

1. What do you do?
    2. Is this your only machine?
    3. How long do you plan on keeping it?
    4. What's your current machine?

By no means should this be a "random purchase."

4. AngryApple macrumors 6502

How many other machines do you have? If you have a beefed up desktop, I'd go with the MacBook Pro. But if you already have a suitable notebook computer, I'd go with the Mac Pro.

However, if you are inclined in such a way that this can be a complete random decision, I'd go with the MacBook Pro because its name sounds better, imo.

5. lee.anderson thread starter macrumors regular

lee.anderson

1. My job at the moment is graphic design, so I use Photoshop and Illustrator a lot.
    I do quite a bit of 3D modeling and animation (not professionally at the moment, just a hobby)
    Programming (specifically iPhone Development, probably in the future i'll expand to OS X development, again, this is just a hobby)
    I do like to have a game on a Windows partition (GTA IV etc...) now and again :D

2. It would be my only machine once I buy, as I would sell my others

3. I plan on keeping it a while, so a point does go to the Mac Pro

4. I have two, one average Windows machine (purposely bought for 3D modeling, rendering etc...) but it really isn't powerful enough for my needs anymore.
    My second is a 2006 Core Duo Mac Mini, I use this the most, but its really lacking in power.
    I bought the Windows computer just for 3D modeling, as the mini couldn't handle it, but I really just want to be on one Mac computer now.
    It would be nice to have the portability, but it would also be nice to have some power.

I've put money aside each week that I would of spent on stuff I don't need, and 6 months down the line its amounted to just enough to buy the Mac Pro. Now that I'm ready to purchase, I'm unsure of which one I want...

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I think that the MacBook Pro would fit your needs fine.

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

Based on what you do, I think you'd be better off with the Mac Pro. For 3D modeling/animation nothing is powerful enough and you'll also appreciate it for games (GTA IV essentially requires a quad core processor to run great).

Or you could just build a nice quad core Hackintosh for a lot less.

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Both computers would account for your requirements.

All you have to think is "Will I want to take this around with me or not?" If you want to take it around, then get the MBP. If you're not bothered, get the Mac pro.

However also consider : With the Mac Pro you still have to buy the screen and everything! :p

9. designed macrumors 6502

designed

I suggest you take a good look at your workflow and approach the question from that angle. Would a laptop give you more freedom, or would you more likely just use it as a workstation with an external display, keyboard and mouse.

As for 3D modeling and programming, sounds like a job for the Mac Pro. The Hackintosh route is another option, especially considering you have to get a proper display for Mac Pro if you don't already have one and that's another cost issue. On the other hand, those are your hobbies atm, so a Macbook Pro would probably work as well.

Both systems will probably serve you just fine in Photoshop, Illustrator and occasional gaming, Mac Pro of course better.

And finally my gut level feeling: if you don't "know" you need the power of the Mac Pro, you don't have to get it :rolleyes:

10. dimme macrumors 65816

If you have a comfortable work space and don't need or want to move around I say get the MacPro. I was lucky to be able to afford both a MacPro and Macbook Pro last year. (Not so lucky this year:() It would be hard for me to chose one if I had to now. I work with Photoshop and lightroom the most with a little bit of Illistrator and the macpro is great for that. But for sitting in the easy chair and surfing and other day to day stuff you can't beat the Macbook Pro. One other thought, if you do a lot of photoshop work the Macbook pro screen may not be the best for color accuracy
    Good luck and let us know what you pick.

11. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

12. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I would go Macbook Pro and external monitor if you think you will ever use the portability...