Mac Pro or MacBook Retina for Photoshop

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gugy, Sep 15, 2014.

1. gugy macrumors 68030

Hi,
    It's time to upgrade my MacPro and I am considering maybe jump on the MacBook Retina 15" instead.
    Most of my work is using Photoshop. Huge files and once in a while some After Effects animations.
    I currently have a 12 core 2011 Mac Pro and moving into the new Mac pro would be the normal transition. That said I wonder if I do need all the power or I can get away with the Retina. It all comes down to the cost. I read the 6 core is the sweat spot for Photoshop but it will end up costing me after upgrades in RAM and storage almost $2k more than the Retina max out on specs.

I appreciate any feedback if some of you have been in this conundrum.

2. goMac macrumors 603

If you need more than the 16 gigs of RAM, go with a Mac Pro.

Otherwise a Retina Macbook Pro is a great option.

If the rMBP does get outdated in 3 years, the money you save will help you upgrade early.

3. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, the RAM is a good point. Photoshop craves it. My current machine has 24gb but I was looking at some point to go 48gb.
    I wish the rMBP could be upgraded for more than 16gb.

4. austinpike macrumors 6502

Why do you feel the need to upgrade?

The 6 core nMP (or retina macbook) would be a big step down from your 12-core for anything multi-threaded. Are you running SSDs in your current machine?

5. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Another choice for you. If you have $2K to spend around, you can get a pair or 3.46GHz CPU, 3x16G RAM, a SSD, and a better graphic card for your 2011 Mac Pro.

6. MacVidCards Suspended

I have a rMBP.

I love the thing but when I want to work on BIG stuff, the 12 Core MP with 4K display is a FAR better choice.

I was laying out some graphics and working on some roms in Hexedit

Doing either thing on rMBP was an exercise in frustration.

And I did get the 16GB version of mid 2012 model. Great on trips or surfing on the couch, but when I want to get things done, I put it away.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It depends on your workload. If you're heavily utilizing all 12 cores of your current Mac Pro, then you will have a hard time using any MBPr. Also, a Mac Pro offers lots of expansion with the 6 Thunderbolt 2 ports and 4 USB 3.0 ports (2 more than a MBPr) and also 4 RAM slots (64GB max I think?). A MBPr does not.

For light to medium Photoshop, a MBPr will work. Anything that is more "pro" or your daily job, then I suggest you don't.