Mac Pro or MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by blakeo, Mar 12, 2008.

1. blakeo macrumors newbie

Hi everyone...

I am kind of a Mac noob...I say kind of because I have the pleasure of using a dual single core G5 at work for creative work - graphics, ps, indesign, etc. I recently upgraded to leopard and love it!

Two weeks ago I bought an iMac 24" but it had water behind the glass (condensation) and since I seem to have bad luck with expensive purchases, I returned it and the store took it back - no restock fee.

Then I custom built a vista machine, 2.4 ghz quad core, 4 gb ram, 8800 GT card, vista 64 bit, etc. - Does gaming great...but I hate vista. It's actually painful to use. XP wasn't too bad, but even after I used leopard at work I said I would buy a mac next. So here I have a 2 week old vista machine that I don't know what I'll do with just yet.

I am not sure if I should get a MBP or Mac Pro. I have no need to be mobile, but it would be nice. I have a Dell notebook from work as well that is junk but if needed I can take it on the road with me. I will in no way ever use the power the Mac Pro has. I am considering both of these models because I do some gaming...for example...Tabula Rasa, C&C 3, etc. I don't play FPS and frame rates aren't overtly important to me. - I would like good quality, no studder, that would be fine. - Admittingly though for 3K, it should be a stellar performer in what I am looking for.

It turned out it was a good thing the iMac had a problem when I got it because I then discovered it was very weak on the GPU side.

A few maybe thinking keep the vista machine and just get a MB. Well I could, but I would perfer just one machine...I have a tendency to only use the fastest machine I have, the slower one is never used and this vista machine although its painful to use, is very quick.

The upgrade path for the MP seems, well, dismal at best. If I am going to buy a machine that I can't upgrade the most important part of (GPU), I might as well just buy a MBP and network storage and be a happy guy.

What do you guys think of the situation? Should I go Mac Pro? Should I keep Vista and learn to love it...? (that will be a challenge) Keep vista and get a MB? Just go MBP and realize in 3 years I'll need a new one do to the limited GPU in it?

On a side note, it seems to me that Apple is missing something in their line up...something should be between the imac and the mac pro.

Thanks guys!

Blake

PS - Have an iPod Touch - Love it!

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Since you said you dont need mobility get the mac pro its just that much more powerful.

3. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Install XP on your Windows box and get a MBP for the important stuff!

You said you wouldn't need the power of the Mac Pro.

4. bensim macrumors newbie

Well, I have both, so I'm spoiled.

But, if I had to give up one, which I never will, it'd be the Mac Pro simply because of the portability of the MacBook Pro.

That said, though, I never use the MacBook Pro when I'm home. I use it all day at school (teacher, not student), but the speed and larger display of the Mac Pro make it much preferable at home.

Some people believe there's a hole between the iMac and Mac Pro. I'm not one of them! The Mac Pro isn't cheap, but it packs a wallop and will probably have great resale value. I just sold my 4 year old, first generation PowerMac G5 for nearly $1000. I think that's impressive.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Opposite for me, I'd rather have the more powerful mac pro that does everything and with a nice 23" ACD to go with and just get a cheap laptop just to surf the web and carry around, maybe a macbook?

6. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

I'm with this as this makes much more sense.

7. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Don't forget, you are asking this in the Mac Pro forum so there is going to be a bias. I, too, own both a MBP and Mac Pro. I bought my MBP as my first Mac computer and absolutely loved it. Used it for an entire year and couldn't be happier but the day I bought a Mac Pro, it's just no comparison. If you absolutely need mobility, then get a MBP because it's a great compromise and could dutifully perform well as a desktop replacement. The new MBPs with the new processors should even be that much better.

At any rate, if I had to do t all over again and was faced with a budget constraint, I would go with the MBP.

8. Masher500 macrumors member

Masher500

I had both. Sold the MBP cause i felt a little guilty cause i both. I mean the MBP is a 2k+ machine. and the MP is more than that. I sold my MBP cause i never used it at home, and if i needed to use any wifi if i was gone or watch a movie i used my IpodTouch. So i would get the MP, you will be thanking me later when you start doing some intense stuff on it.

9. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

10. blakeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, what I ended up doing...

iMac still wasn't an option because of the lack of a great gpu. My work dell notebook died and ultimately i replaced it with a MBP.

So, 10 hours a day i spend using macintosh. 1 or so hours a day I use my vista machine. I am going to make it last a few years, then re-evaluate the iMac and Mac Pro.

11. movieboy23 macrumors regular

i'm sure that you'll be very happy using your MBP. i've had mine for 2+ years and I love it - and the GPU is still able to keep up when I play games and edit videos. unless you really need the Vista machine, I would sell it - try and save yourself some money.

also, make sure you buy applecare. ive cracked and dropped my macbook pro multiple times (probably close to $1000 of repairs) and luckily, ive been able to get applecare to handle it every time.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well, I still have both!!

The MBP has been upgraded to the max, 320GB HD, 4GB RAM the only think missing now is 8Gb RAM!
    But I'll be honest with you... For a core2duo it'll never need all of it. I use it for all my surfing.
    Lovely in bed... Mmmmmm

I also have a MacPro.. and I love it! Almost more than life!! :D
    OK, I boosted the RAM from a lame 2Gb to a more friendly 10Gb, there's still room to add another 8GB without any probs. Removed the stock HD (it's in the original box now) then installed 2 x 1Tb Seagate ES2 SATA drives setup as RAID (strip) for speed. Added a 750Gb Seagate, purely for Photography and open projects. All attached to a 30" ACD... It's sweet!! Oh... I finally been out and brought myself a Pioneer BDR-202 for mass backup! Now, i'm just looking for a SATA to IDE converter.

I basically use the entire system for Media Design, Photography (editing RAW files) and a touch of Motion Graphics with Motion!

Let me ask you something Blake...
    What ever path your gonna choose, what will you use the system for?
    Maybe then that'll determine which system is best for you.

13. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I prefer to use a desktop when I'm at home, both for the power and I just feel more comfortable using one.

I have a nice Mac Pro with a 24" monitor at home that I use all the time. Whenever I travel, like I am now, I bring my crappy dell laptop. I prefer this setup better... I don't have to worry too much about my laptop being stolen or being broken while traveling... if it does I'm out a much smaller amount of cash than if I had a macbook pro.

Just my opinion :)