mac pro or new 27 in imac with core i7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tony5787, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Tony5787 macrumors member

im looking to finally buy my first mac and with the release of the new 27 in macs with the quad core processors, i was almost certain i would buy one with the i7. but after reviewing the buyers guide, i noticed that the mac pro should be updated soon as well. i am looking to get this strictly for video editing, photography, graphic design, etc. the only problem is that the graphics card in the base mac pro currently is a gt 120 which isnt that great. im wondering if i should wait to see what the update includes as far as a new base model graphics card with 1 gb gddr3 or if i should just go ahead and buy the imac because the cost of a new display has to be factored in to, which the new imac covers fully. please let me know what you think

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Go with the iMac. My production partner was about to drop $9k on a Mac Pro today until I told them they'll never use half of that editing video and doing graphics. I edit a show with graphics in HD every week on my MacBook Pro. I just sold an 8-core Mac Pro and will be getting a 27" i7 iMac when they start shipping. Not to mention the GPU isn't used by any app right now except Motion and MAYBE Aperture to an extent.

3. Tony5787 thread starter macrumors member

thanks man. im gonna order it with the i7, 4gb ram (im definately upgrading it later probably around xmas), and 1 tb hdd. you dont know if i could upgrade the hdd to a ssd later do you?

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I don't know how easy these are to get into, I can imagine they aren't easy at all, but I may be wrong. You should be fine with the stock 1TB 7200 RPM drive in there.

5. Tony5787 thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks man. im pretty sure this should last me throughout college and if i need to later on i can then buy a mac pro a few years from now and use this as a display for it lol but i doubt ill need to do that for quite some time. im going to just be using this as a workstation and if i need to surf the web, type up a paper, etc im going to use a vga to mini display to hook my hp notebook into the imac and use the imacs boner inspiring display to make microsoft word seem orgasmic :D:apple:

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Oh, if this is for college, you're definitely gonna want the iMac, you'll need all the spare space you can get, and an All in One is just the ticket.

7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

I wud deffo go with the imac, sO much less hassle and cheaper and on a spec side, not too different[​IMG]

8. Tony5787 thread starter macrumors member

well i mean im living at home and commuting to college so space wouldnt be a problem but its a plus if i can just have a monitor with everything in it vs a monitor and then a monolithic tower sitting next to me even if it is as sexy as a mac pro. but yea im definately going with the imac. just got my rebate check yesterday for like 1600 so im only gonna have to pay like 500 out of my own pocket plus the price of a display adapter cable for my laptop