Mac Pro or new iMac for Pro Tools LE?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Invizzible, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

I'm trying to decide if I should get the new 2.8 Ghz iMac, or a 2.66 quad Mac Pro. Ocassionally I'll be running Pro Tools LE, but other than that I probably won't be doing any pro apps (at least, not for paying gigs). I'm wondering if the iMac will equate the Mac Pro's performance. Anyone know if Pro Tools LE makes use of quad processors? If it does, I assume the performance would be quite a bit better on the Mac Pro. If it doesn't, I'd expect the iMac to slightly outperform the Mac Pro.

2. Kiskeya macrumors newbie

Kiskeya

I just posted a new thread about this issue and I can see that no one has answered you yet. Can you please post any info from your experience or decisions for the rest of us?

Thank You.

Kiskeya.

3. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'm gonna go with the 2.8 Ghz iMac. I'm currently running Pro Tools LE on a 1.4 Ghz single processor G4, and it's ok. I can get 32 tracks with a few basic plug ins. I'm assuming the iMac will be much more powerful and allow me all the plug ins I could ever need for any session. But that's just an assumption. I have no experience running Pro Tools LE on either a current iMac or Mac Pro.