Mac Pro, or no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KyleKlink, Feb 23, 2009.

1. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I am thinking about buying another Mac (I sold my first Mac about 6 months ago and am left with PC only). I use my computer for online college classes, which includes using Word 2007, Photoshop CS3, and Dreamweaver (more intense applications will be used down the road). I also intend to use a webcam to make videos of my kids for my family back on the west coast; I would use iMovie to edit these, and would make about 2 videos each week.

Options:
    -iMac 24" with my Dell 2408WFP as a second monitor
    -mac pro (single quad) with dual 2408WFP displays

A Mac Pro is a bit overkill for my uses, I know. But, I want to have the ability to make upgrades; an iMac doesnt give me this option. I intend to keep this Mac for 3-4 years.

I'm also not sure about putting my matte screen Dell next to the glossy iMac screen. Im slightly OCD when it comes to symmetry, and this might get to me after a while.

These types of posts are usually all about getting someone to agree with the decision you've already made, and I don't think this is an exception. I am leaning towards the Mac Pro simply because I can make upgrades, but would like some opinions.

So, opine!

2. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

If you have the money go for the mac pro, you could get some nice stuff in there (like 32 GBs of RAM)

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you can wait for the NEXT Mac Pro, go for it, as it will rock several different "hiz-ouses" at once.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

macpro is not for you.

the imac will easily last you 3-4 years, especially if you get the top spec one. the 3.06ghz iMac is faster then the lower spec MP in some regards, so for the time being i will say the imac is the way to go for you.

5. be99pilot macrumors newbie

imac all the way

imho, it is better to spend half as much, twice as often on computers.
    i would say wait just a few weeks(?) more for the next imac refresh, and jump on it. then, dont wait 4 years, get another one in 2 years, and give this one to the kids. the next imac will most likely be very competitive with the current macpro single quad, and i am sure the imac two years from now will be far superior!

6. EB66 macrumors 6502

definitely agree with the "half as much twice as often"

and for what you are doing the imac will be plenty, also take into consideration the mac pro is pretty loud if you will be using it in a bedroom and is a lot bigger also

7. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

This is a logical argument. It's going to be very difficult to wait for the new iMacs, especially since there is no guarantee that there even will be a new one in a couple weeks!

8. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Decision has been made

I have finally made up my mind, and will be purchasing a 24" iMac tomorrow night. I decided to not bother waiting for the refresh because I don't have the luxury of sitting around waiting, I need the Mac up and running by Monday morning.

Will I be pissed if a refresh occurs just weeks after my purchase? Maybe, but I don't think so. This iMac is overkill for what I'm going to use it for over the next two years. In two years I will sell it and pick up a new Mac Pro at that point, as I will be using more processor intensive software then.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for bringing me to my senses on this purchase! I think in the long run I will be happier that I went for the iMac.

9. opera57 macrumors 6502

I also cannot decide between the two, but at the moment I am edging towards the iMac as the half as much, twice as often argument seems pretty much valid from my experience [​IMG]

10. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Go with iMac

I picked up my iMac last night and I am very pleased. It's a wonderful addition to my desk and looks great with my Dell 24" LCD connected to it.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

12. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

That's one of the reasons you should have waited for the next iMac :p As that one will most definitely have a MiniDisplay port so you could have gotten the new 24" display. The iMac together with that display would look just lovely :p If I'd have the money to burn, they both would be sitting on my desk :p

13. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Dell display - $499
    Apple display - $899

Not really sure if he has an extra $400 to burn, but you're right, it sure would look sweet :p

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Dell has a 24" LED-backlit 1920x1200 H-IPS monitor with speakers, a microphone, a webcam, and a charger for a laptop for $499?

Where?

15. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Yeah it would have been sweet. Problem is, I already owned the Dell. So, the Apple Display would have set me back an extra $900 that I dont have.

Im satisfied with my choice.

16. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

What would he do with a laptop charger on an iMac? Also, the iMac has an iSight, microphone, and speakers built in, no need for a second set.

Congrats on the purchase OP, I think it will provide everything you need and more :D
    I had this same internal debate and ended up buying a MBP to hold me over to buy a mac pro in a few years after my financial situation improves a bit :eek:

17. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

Make sure to get AppleCare as well, if you want it to last 3+ years.

I sold an older Intel iMac to a friend of mine. After a few months, the logicboard went kaput on him. The included 1-year warranty had just expired. Oh how bad I felt afterwards :(

18. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Pfft. You're ruining this economy of ours!

But seriously, I am so proud of you right now. Sorry it's not related, just had to get that off my chest...

19. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I was referring to the 2408WFP that the OP quoted in the first post.