Mac Pro or PC , Diffrents,Prices

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Foray, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Foray macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone, I having a trouble choosing a Mac pro or a PC that cost around the same as the Mac pro

So a Mac pro Westmere 6 Core, 3GB Ram , graphic card , 2x optical drives

Then it cost around -> $3,999.00
    Then i want to know how mutch i can get for a PC for at around the same prize as the Mac pro up there, and whats the diffrent, Why choose the Mac and Why to choose the PC..
    What do i get most from etc, Whats the best etc.

I'm a Gamer Wow-STC2 , Video editing etc in Final cut pro , Adobe after effects and iMovie etc

Link the PC u configure at the same prize $3,999.00 <-

2. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

The Mac Pro depending on spec is 10 to 100% more expensive than the equivalent PC.

If you can live with Windows then use Windows, if not buy the Mac Pro as OS X is the better operating system.

:)

3. Foray thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay well i love the Mac OS X operating system, i cant be without it but the thing i see bad for the Mac that i want is for PC, Programs etc.

For the prize as 4000 dollar, What can i get for that in the PC World?

4. cnstoll macrumors 6502

Buy a Mac to use Mac OS... Build a pc to use windows. Everyone here is going to tell you Mac OS is better, because that's what we use. If you mostly use windows then you've answered your own question. You can definitely build an extremely powerful pc for 4000 bucks. But, if you mostly use Mac OS (ie for Final Cut) then I don't know why you're even considering a pc in the first place.

5. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

Apple needs to offer a i7 tower ! but they do not

when comparing a Apple to Dell or Hp or other ? go compare their Xeon workstations

sadly the apple store is like walking into a Porsche dealer ? they are worth it but you get more ? will you use it all ? most dont but it is what it is ? nothing you can do about it so you either buy one or not ?
    thats the way I look at it ;)

OS X of course is a big part of why you choose a mac and the other is like Porsche once you own one you understand why they say "Their is no substitute"

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

7. Bartman01 macrumors regular

A better question is how much would it cost to get the same thing but as a PC. I did a quick price out a couple of weeks ago (didn't save it) and without looking for deals priced a 6 core system with USB3, SSD+regular HD, and 12GB ram for about $2500. Could have knocked a few hundred off by bargain hunting plus it would be tax free.

Apple has kept the same insanely high profit margin on their 4/6 core systems.

8. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

6 core xeon or 6 core i7 ?

see not that I think we need xeon ? but they are so to be fair price it out with Xeon and SAME stuff ?

you can get a Honda with SIMILAR specs as a Porsche but one is not the SAME !

if you are saying I can build a PC for cheaper with SIMILAR stuff i7 compare to Xeon ? while nitpicking the SAME is not true its SIMILAR ?

I can get the SAME Porsche ? I can get something SIMILAR to a Porsche big difference

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Xeon 3xxx parts cost the same as equivalent iX parts according to Intel. Might cost a hundred or two more in a shop but that won't really change the game. Besides, for gaming, Xeon is worse as they tend to not OC as well as non-Xeons. You don't need Xeon unless you want ECC and for most of us, that it irrelevant.

10. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Get a mac and use bootcamp.
    I have heard windows 7 runs better on an intel mac than it does on a windows machine

11. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Overclocking leads to instability, there is no reason to do any of that crap, but I guess gamers love to push the limits of their system all in the name of speed. I will say that an Xeon is a bit overpriced if all you want is gaming though, but I digress.

You wouldn't say ECC is irrelevant when you start having memory corruption issues because you bought cheap ass RAM. Your computer starts crashing and you spend forever trying to figure out what is wrong. Yes, there is a chance that you would have no issues at all, ever. But paying extra for that kind of comfort is not "irrelevant."

12. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Why not just build a Hackintosh? A $4000 hackintosh will be more than enough for just about anything. I have a $800 one and it handles everything fine.

13. snouter macrumors 6502a

After Effects runs great on a PC.

Premiere Pro is maybe better than FCP at this point.

You could build a stacked 6 core PC for $2000, easy.

I don't have any irrational dislike for WIndows 7, so trying to convince me that OS X is worth $2000 won't wash with me.

FOr $4000, I'd build a 6 core PC, Adobe Production Pro CS5 and an 18MP Canon T2i (which also shoots 30fps 1080p video). But that's just me.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're using Final Cut Pro and iMovie, I don't even think Windows is an option here?

For Windows you could get Premiere Pro, which I think is pretty good and it integrate well with After Effects… though I don't think you'd be saving any money if that's the route you went.

15. Bartman01 macrumors regular

Sorry, but Xeon vs ix is not porsche vs honda it is porsche with a gold plated shifter knob vs porsche with the plain shifter knob. Switching to Xeon (which I don't need) would add at most 500 to the total price, so I pay 3k (less if I bargain shop) for a a machine that has everything the 4k base apple 6 core has but with more/better drives, tons more memory, USB3 support, 2 sets of 3 channel memory slots, and the new SATA standard all built in. Or I save the additional 500 and stick with ix and non ECC for a machine with the same performance (for all practical purposes).

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to use Windows for your primary OS (primary work)?

Assuming that's the case, I'd get a PC and hack it (presume ATM you don't want to bother with a DIY system so you have a single point of contact for warranty service).

Granted, a Mac can run Windows, there can be some issues here and there (some solved with more expensive solutions than a PC, some not at all; depends on the specific problem encountered).

Your other option (still based on ready-built systems), is to get a PC for Windows, and a Mini for OS X. Tad expensive, but would certainly get you both OS's.

Hacks have come a long way from what they were (hardware selection is important), it's worth checking out places like insanelymac.com before buying anything, even if you do decide a DIY solution is viable.

Assuming you want a Xeon based system (same W3680 CPU), spec out a Dell Precision T3500. You can opt to get the upgrades from Dell or get them yourself (so long as you're willing to deal with the vendor for warranty support). That system also includes a 3 year onsite warranty, and that can be upgraded if you wish (worth going to the Pro version; warranty work is usually a much better experience than Apple, and a far cry better than what you'd get with a consumer grade system).

BTW, you can usually get better pricing over the phone.

The only difference is ECC is enabled in the Xeon versions (i.e. i7-980X vs. W3680). Same features otherwise, and even the same price per Intel's published Quantity Price List. :eek:

Retail prices can differ though. But last I checked, the W3680 could be had for ~$1063USD. Not far off of the pricing for the i7-980X (based on new prices, not eBay or Craig's List).

There can be differences in other areas of the systems where corners may have been cut (i.e. small HDD, cheapest graphics card possible, PSU, case,....).

I do have to give Apple a leg up on the case, but that's not worth the price difference on it's own. Professionals needing a single point of contact for OS or warranty support is (i.e. user is earning a living with it). They usually don't have the time to deal with diagnosing the problem, shipping parts off, waiting for new one/s to arrive, and repair the system. Though there's some valid complaints as to the length of time it can take Apple to complete a warranty repair.

I'm more familiar with Dell, HP,... that get a person out next day on the standard warranty, and it's possible to get same day (i.e. 4hr) response coverage.

17. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

yup agree and sadly why apple needs to start offering single core i7 and leave the dual core to the xeon ?

18. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Another thing to keep in mind when going with a mac is, after a few years if you want to upgrade, you will be able to get at least 50% of what you pay for this mac back if you resell it.

Just take for example how much the used 2008 mac pros are going for.

if you buy a $4000 mac pro today, in 2012 2013 you should be able to sell it for at least 2000-2500.

Macs have a good resell value. Where as if you were to buy a pc for 4k in a few years you would be lucky to get 1k for it

But I agree with other posters, I even made a thread about it a few weeks ago.
    They need to make a gaming type mac for around $1500, which would be basically an imac but in a tower with an i-7 that you can upgrade.

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

Look at it from a financial POV.

The i7 and Xeon (same socket, clock speed, and die size) are the same cost. Just one has ECC enabled, the other not (it's actually there, but the user can't activate it). Since there's no cost savings that can be passed on for these parts, the only way prices would be lowered is if Apple would reduce their margin. And that's about as likely as a snowball in hell. :eek: :p

So you might as well go with the ECC compliant version and use the added reliablility it brings to the table as a means to sell MP's to those that actually need ECC (scientific simulation that relys on recursive algorithms for example). Basically, it gives the potential of expanding the target user base without adding costs.

20. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I am ore on apples side you pay to play kinda like a Porsche I can take out on track day drive hard and drive it home and still have brakes :)
    cant do that with many cars !!!!! and apple is like that they want that reliability which makes them apple :)

I do wish they would some how offer a mid mac ? then again in some ways like Porsche they then become honda and Porsche is Porsche and Apple is Apple and does not want to be Dell

I just think this last round of 5,1 macs are strange options ? but oh well :)

21. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Even an i5 mac tower would be fine. They need to make macs that are just like the imacs but in tower form that you can upgrade (with no monitor).

I think if they could make a basic mac in the range of 1500 they would really pull a lot closer to PC.

I would never get an imac because you cant upgrade it, so I always have to pay 2500-3000 for a pro (like i just did).

I should be able to get a good decent mac for 1500.

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Given the recent issues, it seems the quality has gone down compared to past systems (audio bug, eSATA problems in some systems, ...).

As per "strange options", they're using Intel parts, so there's only so much that can be done. But given the price increases (due to Apple's increased margins), the MP's no longer have the value associated with them that past Intel systems did (harder to compare with PPC, but they were willing to use newer technology before others that added value; now, not so much). As a result, the enthusiast/hobbyist users are being run off due to the pricing, and given information offered by independent pros, they're becoming uncertain if they're going to be able to stay with the platform as well.

Software offerings are also making the PC side more attractive as I understand it (Windows and Linux has become more stable/usable, as well as professional suites offering newer features unavailable on the OS X side), which adds fuel to the fire (additional incentive to jump ship Apple).

Intel's direction isn't helping matters either IMO, as the Xeon systems are going to continue to increase core counts for the enterprise market (servers). The workstation parts will be the same as the enthusiast desktop parts (segments are merging). This means SP based systems with 8+ cores in the not too distant future. Quite a viable move IMO, but the pricing isn't known and Intel's pushing their prices up lately.

Add Apple's margins on top of Intel's recent pricing in this segment, it's a serious source of uncertainty IMO, and it's not unwarranted. :(

23. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

After considering the latest Apple desktop prices, I have dropped Apple from consideration. At those prices, I can start looking at high-performance, certified systems, with certified graphics and a huge market of other certified parts that are Unix/Linux/Windows compatible.

It was different when Apple had a CPU advantage over Intel, but now I can compare Intel-Intel, and the old Think Different argument doesn't work anymore. Apple has to do more than compete on price. It has to compete on hardware compatibility, and Apple is still on the bottom of the priority list, if it is there at all. I wonder when the next Intel CPUs will be coming out. Maybe Apple will wake up by then and start competing against the rest of the professional market. OS X is nice, but it isn't certified Linux or Windows.

24. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

whats the eSATA thing ? I missed that one ;)

downsides to PCs are still the interface ? also the color management is not as good ? and not going to get into it :) but Macs are still better at color management ? things are changing in some ways but the other side is not for me but many in the creative industry is they are not tech savy dont want to be dealing with virus and other isses are a pain so TOC is still better with Macs for some since they can figure most things out themselves ?

I keep thinking hackintosh :)
    I used to be both PC and mac for years but when OS X came out I dumped PC completely as it filled the hole that I thought was missing since about OS 5 or os ?

yeah its a tough thing :)

as the options :) I guess I should have said configurations :) like 3.2 with last years 3.3 ?

the fact adobe needs to get off their ! and rebuild PS from the ground up to take better advantage of more cores ?

so for the photographer a huge market share of the now small side of apple ! in the Mac Pro offerings are two machines really ! the 3.2 quad and the 6 core 3.3 ?
    the video guys are OK

25. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I dream to :) its a tough back and forth :) the price since I have been using and buying macs since the first 128K and it was 3k :) back then and before that I had ][e

I WISH but cant see it happening especially now with what they are doing ?

from above :) hackintosh is calling me maybe ?
    then again I make a living so a few bucks for me is not the big deal ! spread over 3 years ?
    and when I was on PCs I spent a bit to make a super high quality machine

the only thing I do miss is the availability of parts ! the things I do not miss is the interface ! still hate windows stuff
    once in the program its not so bad but I also spend a lot of time out of the programs ?

part of me also thinks build a insane PS and LR box and have a nice Imac :)
    might be a good mix of things

I can build a killer PC and house my drives inside and not have the juggle issue of where and what do I put things etc..

the 3.2 for the wife puts her on a more even field with mine and who knows the idea of a hackintosh or ??? always open to what works best