Mac Pro or Retina Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andrewmackie, Jun 23, 2012.

1. andrewmackie macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 Mac Pro (2x 2.8ghz quad core xeon, 10gb ram, nvidia geforce 8800 GT 512mb) with an 30" cinema display HD and a second Benq 22" monitor.

It's powerful enough for my needs but I'm eyeing the new Retina Macbook and was wondering if the Macbook connected to my HD display will be as, if not more powerful, than my Mac Pro? I ran Geekbench and it gave a score of 10,400 on my Mac Pro. I've seen online benchmarks for the Retina Macbook at over 11,000.

The question I'm debating....can I trade in my Mac Pro for a smaller and possibly more powerful Retina Macbook? I don't need more power, but I do like the idea of having the same power in a portable form factor.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

What do you need it for?

Mac Pros are expandable, the retina MBP is not, at all. Not upgradeable or repairable.

And don't buy a new Mac Pro either, they're currently completely outdated and overpriced to be sold in mid-2012.

3. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

you do realize that the retina macbook pro only come in one size which is 15inch

4. tejagamer macrumors member

tejagamer

Your current Mac Pro is a Beast.
    Considering that, you can either go for a cMBP (non Retina) and Upgrade to an SSD, 16GB RAM down the road and enjoy your portability and at the same time, having very good performance.
    If all you want is portable, go for 13" MBA - Maxxed out if you want.

I seriously dont think you will enjoy an rMBP.

5. andrewmackie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's about replicating the Mac Pro power in a portable form factor. And I'd plug it into a cinema display on the desktop.

So can it be right that the RMBP can outperform my "beast" 2008 Mac Pro?

6. umbilical macrumors 6502a

I have the same thing rounding on my mind on this days...

I have the same macpro 3,1 2x2.8 10gb ram, new video card (because the gt8800 is dead)

and I think if I want change for a retina macbook pro.

Im a web designer/developer coder... so my apps are adobe and well I like video editing for hobbie... gamer? not much, maybe I run a game but I definitely not a gammer here...

I like the idea of mobile, work at home or office, visit clients, university all in a same computer...

about upgrades, by example if I buy today my retina and sell in 3 years for replacement for the current in 3 years... so I think 16 GB ram on the retina is enough, 1gb video mmm I think yes enough for 3 years... 256gb on the HD? enough too!! with apps and maybe windows and work files etc... (not music or movies) I use around 160gb, so 256gb is ok.

one thing that I think a lot is the screensize, 2880 x 1800 wow, I think is great for photoshop editing etc... but I NEVER use a macbook pro for work so I was think, mmm ok good for mobile but tooooooo small for work, but now with the 2880 x 1800 I want see that on my hands for test... I want see on apple store for test myself

I love my macpro but I definitely thinking on move to macbook pro for the idea of mobile...

what do you think?

----------

ohhh one question about retina (sorry maybe stupid question but I dont know)
    if I use to 2880 x 1800 (more space), the quality of the retina is less than use of (best retina)

I mean if I use in full (more space) the retina quality is the same than the (best retina)

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5998/Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 4.29.36 PM.png

:confused:

----------

ALSO!

the $2799 version... is a shame that dont comes with 16gb by default, so I go for the low price version with 16ram added, total $2499 (I dont care about 256gb or 500gb or hd, 256 is enough for me)