Mac Pro or Top of the line iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by driphone, Mar 11, 2009.

1. driphone macrumors regular

Hi,
    I am looking to buy a new Mac mainly to have ability to burn home HD video to an internal/external BluRay drive. Do I have to but a mac pro or will the top fo the line new iMac do just as well? in my experience with my current Mac's rendering the video has taken the most time.
    TIA,
    Sam

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd choose the Mac Pro but then again you can get the top of the line imac + external bluray burner.

3. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I would also choose the low-level Mac Pro and wait for the future 30-in Cinema Display. Or you could get the 24-in that is already out if you don't need that big of a screen.

4. driphone thread starter macrumors regular

thank you both but do you mean there will be a major video processing difference between the two?

5. Abidubi macrumors 6502

I would say so. 4 cores instead of 2.

Note the iMac 3.06 and the quad 2.66. In single threading, it's the same (even though the pro has a slower clock-speed) but in multi-threading the pro is way faster.
    [​IMG]

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

You should go with the quad core mac pro 2.66GHz.

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I'm trying to make the same decision. I've always preferred having upgradable machines so that I can fix/replace things or do minor upgrades along the way.

Also, the top iMac video card, the Radeon 4850 mobility is still pretty slow. I'd like something that is going to be quick enough that if I want to boot up into Windows I can do so and get reasonably fast performance.

If I understand correctly though the quad Pro motherboard can only accommodate a single CPU, versus the dual CPU sockets on the octo box. This would be a concern for resale, etc, as well as the ability to put in faster Xenon CPUs down the road when the prices come down in 18-24 months time.

Funny enough I actually get a better discount on the Pro boxes than I get on the iMac. With my corporate discount the Mac Pro 2.66ghz is $2299 shipped to my door.

8. driphone thread starter macrumors regular

well, I think I did get my answer, many thanks to all...
    Sam