Mac Pro Ordered :-)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Apple Corps, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

But the real message is how positive the overall experience with Amazon has been - on several purchases. With a Prime Account overnight shipping was almost free - the 2.6 was in stock - no California sales tax to pay ($200) - plus a $150 rebate - great experience.

Now I have to find a way to purchase the AE + BT card so I can install it myself - hauling that 42 pound machine to a servce center for a five minute install is to be avoided if posible :eek:

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

congrats on your new machine. i never took into account the rebate, plus no tax. maybe my new *new* mac will be through amazon.

also, if you check the marketplace, there was a thread named something along the lines of: FS (Dead powermac G5)... the owner had an airport express card for sale. you may still be able to get a hold of it.

3. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

The Mac Pros have a special Airport module, you can't just order a card and install it. The module itself is not too hard to install, it's just finding someone who will sell it to you. Apple recommends (requires?) that you have the airport and bluetooth installed by a authorized service provider. I've read of people installing the modules themselves, but I don't know where they acquired them because Apple does not sell them, and my local authorized dealer only sells them if they install it for you.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Looks like you can purchase it from here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AirCardMP/

Details in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=307570

4. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

wyatt - I'd give them a try - my experience has been great!!!

Laslo - thanks - I'd like the combo AE&BT module - BUT - I rarely use BT so maybe it is not that important - until I get my iPhone ;) ;) ;)

5. chelsel macrumors 6502

Not Mac specific but Amazon specific... I've had GREAT experiences purchasing through Amazon... and I've never found a company that made it so incredibly easy to return things... even to the point of printing the return shipping labels for you!

I highly recommend purchasing through Amazon even if it's not the absolute lowest price you can find online... and I don't own any Amazon stock... just Google :p

Cliff.

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I still have it.

Not sure if I'm going to get rid of it though.

8. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

This thread may go in circles - my G5 Quad 2.5 is listed on ebay :p

9. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Congrats and enjoy! Good option to buy at Amazon. I buy lotsa stuff, specially ink cartridges for my epson 3800 -- they have the best prices.

I just sold mt 2.66 at ebay for good money and ordered a custom 3GHz quad at BHphoto. Nothing special but it comes with AE and BT plus X1900XT and a 500GB HD, and it's in stock; free shipping and no taxes so I upgraded to overnight shipping. I want to have the computer fast to transfer my stuff before I ship the 2.66

Bests

10. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Enjoy your new Mac Pro! :)

Man, I bet those things are screamers.

11. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

tribe - I'll have some hunting around to do for an AE+BT module but will start the transfer of data, apps,os tomorrow - it wil be a full day with some concern in getting all the PowerPC files to Intel w/o corruption. Crucial memory is due in tomorow as well - I know what most of my day will be like.

Enjoy your new machine - sounds impressive.

12. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

I'll probably be screaming by the time I get everything sorted :eek:

13. tribe3 macrumors 6502

het AppleCorps, I'll be doing the same thing, except I only have Office as PPC.

This is the lady you need http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AirCardMP/ than you have to go here http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=36A3C0EC&nplm=D4141ZM/A and for $2 dollars you buy the 802.11n enabler. I'm sure they sell the BT device too. It's easy to install.

My new machine is nothing special (well all mac pros are special!!) The good thing a bout it is that it was in stock with the x1900, AE and BT. I ordered 4gigs RAM from crucial -- price went down like 30 bucks for the set of 2X1GB ! so for 399 I got the 4Gigs. I don't expect to notice the 3GHz much faster than the 2.66 but the swap cost me about $500 so I went for it.

Lot a people buy from sweetwater so go for it.

Bests

14. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

Congrats (again) on your new machine :) Looking forward to reading your posts after you get it up and running! I love our new Mac Pro. I didn't think to try Amazon for it, but I'm not sure I could get a better deal since my wife works for a University and gets a discount. Amazon has always been good to deal with for other purchases.

15. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

Congrats! You will love it (I have pretty much the same setup).

16. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Yeah it really sucks they don't. I still love Amzon though, things on there are so much cheaper then in shops or buying from the manufacturer.