mac pro out of usb power

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by meltio, Jan 1, 2010.

1. meltio macrumors newbie

My mac pro ran this morning out of power in all usb-hubs. Also the bluetooth states that not available.

Yestarday everything worked fine, had quite a lot running from the usb ports (wacom tablet and midisynth and some usb licence keys), but it worked fine.

It didn't power the usb's down immediately, the power dissapeared gradually and now it's dead. Otherwise the mac pro seems to run somewhat normally...

The usb hubs on my cinema display works fine, but I guess the power comes thru the display???

What is wrong with my machine??? please help!!!

2. meltio thread starter macrumors newbie

and to add, the fire wires work fine and so does the headphone out also. I plugged it from the socket and let it stand for some time, then it worked for just a short time. When I plugged in a midi keybord to it, the usb ports died again...

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

This may seem really dumb, but have you tried shutting down, waiting about 30 seconds, and doing a restart?

4. meltio thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have, I have also plugged off everything and waited for 1/2 hour and still the same. I did booted the PRAM and that actually helped. It started working again... 'til I plugged the midi keybord into the mac pro usb port... same **** all over again. So I rebooted the PRAM again. Now it works. But only if I run the midi keybord into my cinema display usb.... aint that wierd??? Also thouse usb's worked when the mac's own was down though the display was also ofcourse plugged to the computers usb!!

Any ideas what's going on with my mac??

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd try a clean installation. A file could have been lost, deleted, corrupted,... and an update could have done it as well. I presume the midi keyboard doesn't have any drivers necessary, but if that's the case, maybe try re-installing those first.