Mac Pro -- Output to a Samsung 46" LCD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jasone6, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jasone6 macrumors member

I'm about to order my mac pro. I know I want the 8800 Video Card, but I also want to get my Mac Pro soon!

Two final (related) questions:

1) If I ordered the Mac Pro with the inferior/standard video card, would that card become totally useless when my 8800 finally arrives? If not, how could I use it? (I may opt to do that so I can get my machine sooner.)

2) I'd like to have the ability to output HD video to a Samsung 46" LCD TV (LNT4665F 1080p). Will either/both of these cards do that? If I have the extra card (i.e. once I get the 8800), could I use one card to output to 2 Apple Cinema Displays and the other to output to the Samsung?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Jason

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you like having two videos cards? Does your TV have VGA, DVI, or HDMI inputs?

3. absolution macrumors member

I'm pretty sure both cards will "see" the samsung and output 1920x1080 at 60Hz. The question is will either do 1:1 pixel mapping. I don't know if your Samsung has that, but my Pioneer Kuro 110FD does and that has been a plan of mine all along - output 1080p to my plasma at 1:1. I know 1080p won't be a problem. 1:1 pixel mapping is my only concern now. I really don't want to have to use DisplayConfigX or SwitchResX to jerry rig a stable connection as both apps are confusing enough to make your brain melt.

4. jasone6 thread starter macrumors member

The TV has all sorts of inputs: HDMI, DVI, USB, S-Video, Composite, etc.

2 x HDMI ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) - Rear, 1 x USB ( 4 pin USB Type A ) - Side, 1 x HDMI ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) - Side, 1 x Headphones ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ) - Side, 1 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) - Side, 1 x Composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Side, 1 x Composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear, 2 x Component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear, 1 x Digital audio output (optical) ( TOSLINK ) - Rear, 1 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) - Rear, 1 x VGA input ( 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ) - Rear, 1 x Audio line-in ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ) - Rear, 1 x Audio line-out ( RCA phono x 2 ) - Rear, 3 x Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - Rear

5. SolrFlare macrumors regular

Just go DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI(with an appropriate adapter cable) and that's all you'll need. That big old 46inch tv will act just fine as a monitor. You'll just need to set it to the appropriate resolution.

6. jasone6 thread starter macrumors member

It appears that it does have 1:1 pixel mapping through "Just Scan" see here.

High-Definition Video is making my brain melt already! Ugh! There seem to be so many friggin' variables to the whole process!

Does using 1:1 pixel mapping mean that I may actually be using less of my 46" LCD TV's screen in order to get a crisp picture from my Mac Pro?

Thanks for all the help everyone...

-Jason

7. Kuraudo macrumors member

Lets get this straight.

I own 2407WFP-HC (worked with 22" crt as well)
    Also Samsung 40" ln-s4095D

Ati has drivers to output 1776x1000 so theres no overscan
    Samsung recommends only to use PC input VGA, however this driver update has corrected this problem. Without the driver update, i could watch video without overscan via overlay but not play video games correctly or use it as a mirrored monitor. The taskbar wouldn't show due to overscan.

I can confirm that older ATi cards and older Samsung screens
    will work.
    Oh btw, you only need ONE video card to make this work

I highly doubt the newer there would be any problem for your situation.

8. markw10 macrumors 6502

Similar Question

I'm reading this post with interest. I just purchased a Mac Pro with the standard ATI 2600 XT card. First, I am replacing a Windows Tower that is barely working anymore so I didn't want to wait the 5-6 weeks. Plus I was trying to save the extra $200 but now that I made my purchase I'm not sure if I did the correct thing.
    First, I'm not a big gamer at all but I also do a wide variety of work. I do the basic Mail, Safari browsing, iCal, and also Office type work (Word, Excel, Pages, and Numbers). What I'm getting into now is I'm starting to use Adobe programs for ebooks such as PhotoShop CS3, InDesign, and Illustrator. I also do some minor web design using Dreamweaver and Flash. Later this year I plan to purchase Final Cut Studio and do some video and with time will start working with HD Video for downloadable content.
    As you can tell I'm kind of a jack of all trades. I won't be doing anything super advanced with any of this. I just don't know if I really need the 8800 GT. Any opinions?
    My question, if I chose to do this what is the best route to take? I am going to be outputting to more than 2 monitors so I do want two cards but am not sure which to get as my second card. If I get an 8800 GT I would make that the primary card for two monitors and the ATI for a smaller 3rd monitor. How would I have to configure these? What I mean is what slots do I use to make sure the 8800 GT is the primary? Maybe this is unknown but maybe the important question is, can I use these two different cards in the same Mac Pro? I did some research on Google and it seems in the early days of the Mac Pro you couldn't do that. Thanks for any help.