Mac Pro Overheating

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sveetly, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Sveetly macrumors member

Sveetly

Hello,

My mac pro has been working fine since I got it a little over a year ago, but now the computer overheats 90% of the time if you run Mac OS X for more than 8-10 hours at a time.

The computer runs fine under Windows XP, and can be left on as long as you want. I suspect it is the 3870 x2 not running cool under OS X.

When I opened it up, all the red lights were on on both RAM risers, and the lights for "overtemp" on CPU A & B were also on. Sometimes, the grey "You need to restart your computer" screen comes on, other times the screen can't even finish loading it before the computer is completely dead. This can't be good for it, so I'd love to know of any solutions (other than stopping using OS X or removing the video card.)

Thanks in advance!

2. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Remove the 7300GT card. why do u need it in your system. You've got plenty of power with 2 3870. If problem persists call Apple Care they're very helpful. If something's wrong they'll probably send you a New mac pro. Do you have the new or old mac pro b/c if u have the new one your memory config of 5GB isn't advised or supported. You should have equal memory on each riser.

3. Sveetly thread starter macrumors member

Sveetly

Thanks.

I'll try cutting it down to 4GB of RAM.

The 7300 must be in because I've failed to get the 3870 x2 (the x2 card, not 2 3870s) working under OS X.

By the way, it's a late 2007 Mac Pro.