Mac pro owners, how can we fit SSDs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jgbr, Mar 15, 2009.

1. jgbr macrumors 6502

So the big question is now we have these powerhouses, fuelled by a hopefully fully multicore OSX; how do we gain more performance by using sold state disks?

Most are 2.5inch yet we only sport 4 3.5inch bays.

Ideas, thoughts etc.

2. More macrumors regular

3. tsmiller macrumors newbie

4. Igotmacqs macrumors member

5. More macrumors regular

I don't have a 2009 mac pro... got a 2008 revision. I wasn't aware that there were any problems with the maxupgrades sleds with the new mac pros. Maybe someone else can clarify. They certainly work great in the 2008 models. :)

6. aibo macrumors 6502

I too am using the MaxUpgrades "Velociraptor" sled for my SSD. Works great. I'd be very surprised if Apple changed the drive sled design for the 2009 MP.

7. pprior macrumors 65816

Using same sled here. Really you could ghetto with just some tape, as SSDs are very light weight. The maxupgrades sled is nice aluminum however and very solid.

8. HunterMaximus macrumors member

9. hubiedubie macrumors member

Any update on this?
    I've ordered 2 of those maxupgrades sleds to go with my new 2009 mac pro.

10. Igotmacqs macrumors member

From that link:

"Cons: Not sure but on a mac intel machine, the G-Skill SSD drive is not recognized when a common restart is done. Only when machine is started from cold start.

G-Skill says could be Dock. Beware mac users"

11. ThreeTwo macrumors newbie

icydock

I put an OCZ Vertex into the Icy Dock (bought both from newegg) as a boot drive for my 2009 mac pro -- works great, perfect fit. silent & fast.

12. DuDum macrumors newbie

2nd optical bay sata

am i right in thinking an ssd could be just plugged into the 2nd optical bay's SATA connector and just left sitting loose in the bay ?

(to avoid using up a HDD bay and avoid shelling out on a mounting adapter)

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Do you use it as your boot drive? What kind of speed increase over a SATA II HD do you get?

14. gjarold macrumors regular

Can you elaborate a bit ? As mentioned above, it would be very odd if the sizing for standard 3.5" items was somehow different ... in what way does it not fit ?

Can anyone else confirm or deny the working/non-working of the maxconnect item in a 2009 mac pro ?

Thanks.

15. hubiedubie macrumors member

I've emailed Maxupgrades about this (compatibility with 2009 Mac Pro) and haven't heard a reply. However I should know on Wednesday when my mac pro arrives (assuming the sleds have arrived by then also).

16. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

mounting adapters are cheap... if you're shelling out for an SSD, you can cover the few bucks for a mount. I use this one.

17. tsmiller macrumors newbie

The sled will not go all the way in. It sticks out about an 1/8 of an inch. I even removed the drive, and tried the aluminum sled only, it still will not go in all the way. I was not able to tell why. I tried this on the number 2 and 4 hd bays.

In any case the cover will not go on, and the latch will not close.

18. hubiedubie macrumors member

I just got an email from MaxUpgrades on this issue and they said they will send a smaller sled out that will fit in the 2009 mac pro in 2-3 days.

19. Nautigar macrumors regular

Attached Files:

20. twig16 macrumors newbie

newegg posts indicate this will not work, it makes the drive wider but no deeper

21. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

MaxUpgrades is working on an updated sled that fits the new Mac Pro.

One other company is working on a similar solution.

With the new faster, larger capacity SSDs coming soon, they see the writing on the wall.

Meanwhile you could try duct taping them to the standard sled. (Just kidding.)

22. acurafan macrumors 6502a

i just use electric tape and stick the SSD against my dvd drive. done. it's not going anywhere. :rolleyes:

23. gesundheit macrumors member

24. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

In one of the hard drive bays or the optical bay? If the hard drive bay do you keep the factory tray?

25. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The Icy Dock enables you to use the stock sleds... the Icy Dock enclosure is mechanically identical to a 3.5" hard drive.