Mac Pro--Page outs--RAM upgrade???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by huz123, Aug 14, 2009.

1. huz123 macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have attached a picture of my istat dashboard page showing my page ins and outs today........

Do you think I need a Ram upgrade. Im not exacatly sure what page outs are but someone told me that i may need a ram upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I would say a RAM upgrade would do you some good. Your page-outs, when the swap file is actually being used, is quite high, as is the swap file size itself. It seems you have 2 GB of RAM now and I would advise to at least upgrade to 4 GB. Your system will definitely benefit from the upgrade.

3. pprior macrumors 65816

2GB should be a crime in a mac pro. Don't spend money on a sweet system like that and then strangle it with low RAM.

4GB minimum - you'll see a big boost.

RAM is dirt cheap right now - I paid almost $400 per GB when I bought my first mac Pro!

Drop 2 x 2GB chips in there to give you a total of 6 and good future expansion.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree, 2GB is a crime in a MP. The ones that shipped with 1 GB (IIRC) were criminal). 4 GB is ok but I recommend 6 GB at least.
    RAM it is, according to iStat.

5. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Which mac pro do you have? You should be punished for choking your mac pro. Thats a crime punishable of up to 1 year revocation of using your mac pro!:eek:

6. huz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for input guys,

However, reading around the forums has led me to the point that adding another two 2gb chips would lead to a total of 6gb RAM but no quad channel mode. I thought this was of no significance compared to having more RAM overall. However, user GoKyu noticed that upgrading in this fashion increased his boot time from 30 secs to over a minute!

I dont want to be slowing my mac pro down by adding more memory!!

So im a little confused....maybe I should just get another two 1gb sticks.

However, despite the non quad mode issue GoKyu seems to have, two 2gb sticks seems a much better investment money wise.
    :eek:

by the way, ive got a 2008 2.26 quad with 2gb ram, 512 8800gt and 320gb hard drive

7. pprior macrumors 65816

Barefeats showed only a very small decrease in performanc in non-quad mode (it was 2-3% IIRC), so you won't even notice it.

That being said, if you have 2 x 1GB chips now you're already in non quad mode.

Install in matched pairs and quit worrying - your speed will only go up.

8. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

2GB in any mac gives me a head ache. For people that just surf the net, its fine, but I need 4GB minimum and I assume anyone using a Pro would need the same.

9. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Following this thread lead me to get another stick of memory. Unfortunately I can only max out with 3gb Ram as I have an older macbook pro. So I'm going from 2-3 gb. Should still be better.

10. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

2GB in a Mac Pro? You need to get to 4 or 8GB.

I still get Page's Out with 32GB but I can't even imagine what it would be like with 2GB. This is after 2 hours of work, no pages out yet...

Attached Files:

11. huz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. So would you guys definitely recommend getting another two 2gb sticks rather then an extra two 1gb sticks?

Are there instances where this setup would be slower then my current 2gb ram?

And what kind of speed difference should I be expecting?

Many thanks for you're input guys!!
    Many thanks for

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Wait, what do you have? A 2.26 quad from 08?

I think you have a 2008 MP from the sound of it. Is your ram in a 4x512 configuration or a 1 x 1GB configuration?

Either way, just get 2GB chips and throw them in. You aren't in quad mode now and it will only seem faster with more ram, shouldn't go the other way

13. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

If you have 512 sticks in there, get rid of them. They are known to be slower modules. Stick with at least 2gb sticks. If you go with 1gb sticks, and later want to max out ram, you will be chucking these.

14. huz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I think I understand guys.

Btw, I have 2GB ram in the form of two 1GB sticks.

So you guys would suggest me getting two 2GB sticks taking ram to 6GB rather then an extra two 1GB sticks, taking RAM to 4GB and matched.

And what kind of performance increases would I expect therefore?

Thanks in advance, this is a real help for me!:)

15. pprior macrumors 65816

16. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

All this talk about upgrading made me order 4gb more. Gotta quit reading this stuff. :D

17. huz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know where the best place to put two 2GB sticks would be. In addition to the already installed two 1GB sticks?

Should I leave the current two 1GB sticks where they are?

18. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

19. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I would recommend putting the largest closest to the mobo.

20. huz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

ah i see

have any of you guys done this upgrade. As in from 2gb to 6gb ram and seen any difference in speed?

And would adding another hard drive help in this regard or would an increase in RAM make more difference?

21. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

You think that is bad? I'm struggling with 3GB of RAM. But I'm upgrading to 12GB in less than a week and a half. :)

Attached Files:

22. huz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that looks high for page outs. What do you use your Mac Pro for? And what apps do you use simultaneously?

23. pprior macrumors 65816

Dude, I'm telling you one last time - YES I have done that upgrade and YES I saw a huge improvement in system responsiveness and speed. And at that time I spent probably over $1000 just to add 4GB of ram, it's going to cost you maybe a couple hundred.

Spend the money, see for yourself.

24. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

You will see an improvement. Page outs are writing to hard disk instead of ram, slows everything down.

Put 2x2GB in on the top and bottom risers closest to the motherboard. Put your other ram behind it in pairs.

It will speed it up. Go do it.

25. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Video encoding but mainly right now just my dvd collection. Handbrake, isquint and those things. Right now I have mail running, firefox, safari, itunes, twirl, and transmission.