Mac Pro PC Graphics card question (Project Cars + Windows)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smuudge, Jan 25, 2017.

1. smuudge macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.
    I have recently retired my 8 core Mac Pro from graphics duty and it now is being used in the gaming den to run Project Cars!
    I have Windows 8.1 running smoothly and also 2 Mac cinema displays running off of a flashed AMD Radeon 6800 HD 1GB video card. Project Cars runs smooth but i am looking for a triple display set up to complete the effect!

My question is, can anyone recommend a good cheap/card that will slot in to the PCI slot on the MP and give me a good frame rate for game play?

I don't really want to fork out for another 1Gb Mac card if i have too and this will only be used under Windows OS so guess that opens the doors for a cheaper Windows PCI card?

Thanks in advance.

2. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

Your HD 6870 (or 6850?) should be able to drive three displays just fine. Or is the performance insufficient when attaching a 3rd one?

3. smuudge thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah that's very strange, i did actually try that but i couldn't get a signal out of the 3rd monitor. I just assumed the card was only capable of displaying 2 signals at a time.

It appears i need to be more specific with the type of connectors i use and in what combination to get the 3 ports/monitors to work according to varying google search results. For instance (mini-dp + hdmi/vga + dvi)

Can anyone clarify?

4. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

AMD cards can only drive two legacy displays (DVI / HDMI / passive DP), each additional display needs to be connected through a true DisplayPort connection (=> native DP device or active DP adapter).

5. smuudge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Is the 'Apple MDP to DVI adaptor' classed as an 'active DP adaptor' or am i looking for something different?

6. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

The Apple adapters are passive (except the super expensive Dual Link DVI one).

7. smuudge thread starter macrumors newbie