Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
Is it possible to get a perspex door for a Mac Pro? One similar to the G5; this is because i would like to run some tests on airflow and i will be purchasing a GTX770 or 780 (i want to see the glowing logo :p), would it be a DIY job or is there a place i can buy one?

Thanks in advance.

jeeplj8

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2014
Is it possible to get a perspex door for a Mac Pro? One similar to the G5; this is because i would like to run some tests on airflow and i will be purchasing a GTX770 or 780 (i want to see the glowing logo :p), would it be a DIY job or is there a place i can buy one?

Thanks in advance.

I think you mean a G4...the G5 was an aluminum case just like the Mac Pro. At least mine was....

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
...and it had a perspex door inside, just beneath the aluminum side door. At least my G5's have.
pm5insidelg.jpg

jeeplj8

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2014
...and it had a perspex door inside, just beneath the aluminum side door. At least my G5's have.

I had forgotten about that. I thought you meant the semi-transparent plastic case from the G4.

Looking at how the perspex door is formed, it would not work on my 3.1 machine as the have moved things around.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Just get some perspex in the right size? It's fairly cheap to buy and there's bound to be a web-site you could order it from pre-cut to your required size.

After that it's an issue of what exactly you need, and how handy you are; for example you could do a full replacement for the metal side panel, but you'd probably need to cut out some tabs so it sits properly in place and either use a rubber strip for a friction fit, or try to make something compatible with the Mac Pro's built in latching mechanism (it's not a hard job, just very fiddly if you've never done anything like it before).

If you're happy only covering part of the machine like the G5 shields did then you can easily go for a smaller piece and maybe use some kind of right angle brackets to hold it in place, or even add something that can slip just under the hard drive trays.

In all cases, rubber strips for noise cancelling are a good idea as it may be hard to get a perfect rattle-free fit with a DIY shield.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
A had a client get the outside door for a 1,1 cnc cut in clear acrylic. Looked ok for the first year then turned cloudy and horrible. Think you have to use the right plastic to cope with the temperature changes and the airflow in the case!

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
A had a client get the outside door for a 1,1 cnc cut in clear acrylic. Looked ok for the first year then turned cloudy and horrible. Think you have to use the right plastic to cope with the temperature changes and the airflow in the case!

I'll have a look and ask around! Thanks for your comment :) if it only lasts a year, that should last me, it's only because I want to see the GTX770 and it's internals :p

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I'll have a look and ask around! Thanks for your comment :) if it only lasts a year, that should last me, it's only because I want to see the GTX770 and it's internals :p

He took his door down to the workshop and they CNC cut a copy of it. Used clear velcro pads to attach it to the case cos attempting to copy the locking and latch mechanism would require metal parts and a lot more aggravation and cost. Those sides will have to be thinner to match the velcro thickness for a snug fit.

Just don't use acrylic, a clear polycarbonate that isn't brittle should be good enough. Been a long time out of the fabrication game since my brother sold his business but I would imagine there's some pretty good new materials out there to machine out a copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.