Mac Pro photoshop issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheMasin9, Nov 27, 2010.

1. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

Hey Guys, you came to the rescue with my recent RAID issues, but now that it is sorted out, and i have all of the hardware in place, i need to get the software playing nice. Here are the specs:

3.33ghz 6 core mac pro
    10 gb ram
    several 7200 1-2 tb hard drives
    4 drive raid 0 SSD array
    radeon 5770

CS4

Basically i work with large format, large size, multilayer photoshop and illustrator files (wall art, posters etc). I am running into performance issues when using brushes (takes several seconds to complete a stroke to catch up with cursor) and general file IO is slow. I am looking for suggestions on how best to set up this system (scratch disks, memory allocations, plugins software tweaks) in order to achieve the best performance. After doing my research on hardware, i feel as if i have all of the pieces in place, but i just need to know how to set the software in order to take advantage of it.

Thanks in advance!

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

My guess is that 10GB isn't enough RAM for your apps/files.

See here: http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/47648-page-ins-page-outs-could-somebody-please-explain-me-idiot-fashion.html

3. TheMasin9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

Memory

I have been checking the ram usage through widgets and the efficiency indicator in Photoshop. I have yet to see the efficiency indicator drop below 100% and with files open I have about 3-4 gb of free memory. Other thoughts?

4. goMac macrumors 603

5. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

Ditto get CS5 and make sure you are on SL then you will see a bump

also check the activity monitor for overall memory use :)

writing and reading files in PS is slow its a single threaded setup that needs to be updated
    if you write large files use uncompressed tiff instead ! you can save layers and its much quicker than PSD for large files smaller I just use PSD

what is your scratch setup ?
    what is your boot and aps on ?
    what is your documents on :)

basically whats your setup like the raid 0 ? what is that used for and I take it that its on a separate card ?

6. TheMasin9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

Raid is on a separate Areca 1210, keeping apps/scratch/docs on raid, would it be better to have a pair of raid 0s, one for boot/apps/docs and the other simply for the scratch?

7. Munix88 macrumors member

Yes. It is typically good practice to have scratch disk be separate from the disk(s) used for the OS, applications, or any other items that would cause that disk to be accessed for any reason during application use.

Some people will keep the OS on it's own drive and applications on another then use another disk for documents and as a scratch disk. Personally my own setup is that I have the OS and Apps (CS4 Suite) on one disk and documents and scratch disk as the other and have no lag at all in Photoshop (see my system specs below).

If you're working with pretty large files though, as others have said, it's definitely suggested you grab Photoshop CS5 for 64bit support.

8. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I would use regular HDD on the areca for my documents
    use a SSD or two for boot/aps and one or two for Scratch /cache

what are the size of files you work on ?

try to spell out all your SSD drives as in size etc.. all your HDDs and what you need for file space etc.. still not exactly sure what ya got going ;)

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

Go to Macperformanceguide.com

Best Photoshop advice I've found. There is a lot there, give yourself several days to digest it. He talks about scratch disks,plugins, and RAM, etc etc. If I recall correctly, the 3GB limit in PS is not a huge deal since OS X just takes the stuff that PS won't manage over 3 GB and manages the excess at an OS level.

I routinely work on 1GB to 2GB files, in multiple layers on a 2008 8 core, with 12 GB of RAM and CS3. I don't have RAID, or an SSD disk. Just the stock HDs that came with the system and then a bunch of externals for nightly backups (and I don't care how slow they are since they do their thing at night).

I find my performance adequate, based on the suggestions found at the site I've recommended.

Good Luck.

10. goMac macrumors 603

Nope, not true.

32 bit processes are entirely incapable of addressing more than 4 gigs of RAM.

11. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

I noticed a big improvement going from CS4 to CS5. Try the free trial.

12. barmann macrumors 6502

OP: Make sure to check the 'Optimizing Photoshop settings (or such)' articles on that website, you might be running into graphic performance issues .

13. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

a few thoughts his HDD setup on his macs are some of the worst advice and if followed the way he has the one he sells setup you loose all your data including backup if one HDD fails !!!!

he is usually good with stuff ? but recently seems to be off his meds or something ?

the 3GB limit is old news also :) way old ! get CS5 and SL and use all you can :)

14. snberk103, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

snberk103 macrumors 603

OK - maybe I need to expand on my thinking bit. I haven't actually created a single image that is bigger than 3GB and apparently I won't be able to, but I have been into the 2GB+ size routinely. Photoshop grabs RAM in the order of 5 to 7 times the size of image you are working on. I think (and I will confirm later today) that I have had more than 3 files open in Photoshop, each file being at least 1GB. I deduce (but am willing to be corrected) that CS3 as a whole can work with more than 3GB of RAM, but that the single file size is limited to 3GB.

UPDATE: Just for reference, I was able to open up simultaneously a 3.02GB file and a 2.2GB file. So, CS3 is able to handle in total more than 3GB - just not in a single document, perhaps. I will see if I have time to create a 4GB file in the next few days.... just to see what happens.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

More information as to the specifics (setup and usage pattern) would be necessary to give good advice.

BTW, the ARC-1210 is an entry level card, and not suited for more than 2x SSD's.

Something like this might work (aimed at a low cost solution by using as much of the existing equipment as possible):
    • 1x SSD = Scratch (attached to the ICH)
    • 1x SSD = OS/Applications (attached to the ICH)
    • 4x HDD's = Primary Working DATA (Areca in either RAID 5 or 10)
    • 1x HDD = Backup (attached to the ICH); an external solution may be a better alternative, depending on capacity needs
    But it's just a rough draft without details (may not provide sufficient throughputs and/or capacity).

I definitely agree here, as the people reading his advice may not know enough about RAID and follow it at their own peril. :eek: :(

But it seems like he's learning (slowly), based on the iStoragePro review. Unfortunately, he's not gotten it all down yet, as he still uses consumer grade disks (running it with Hitachi Deskstars; bad enough they're consumer grade, but I've not had good experiences with their consumer products since they moved the manufacturing to China).

16. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

That's misleading, if true, information. We've trashed this more than enough before CS5 came out. Do not confuse a single process (like PS) and the way OS X's architecture handles overall memory. I don't feel like searching for those threads, but that's been tested (I did some myself to be sure).

Even with CS4, you're going to see better performance (for big files) with more RAM than PS can handle on its own.

Loa

17. TheMasin9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

Cs5

so the overall idea that i am gathering is that CS5 will see the most performance improvement due to its ability to address more RAM and 64 bit? will this impact the lagging brush speeds as well?

18. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

as long as one has enough memory ;) also turn off open GL ? its buggy last time I checked and dont think they fixed it yet ;)

I use layers and wacom and brushes for all my work and never have lag issues :)
    retouching did 100 or so last night another 100 or so today and only 50 tomorrow ;) so I do use brushes A LOT ;) and no issues

my current setup is a 3.2 with 24 gigs SSD for boot SSD for scratch and raid for storage CS5 and SL

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

Is CS5 for Mac 64bit? I may have missed an announcement, but I was waiting for CS6 because I thought CS5 was still 32bit. It is entirely possible I've got this wrong, though. :confused:

20. goMac macrumors 603

For reference, it's not loading the entire file into RAM at once, it's storing anything past the 3 gig limit in scratch.

Photoshop CS5 Mac is 64 bit.

21. snberk103 macrumors 603

Looks like I'm going to have to turn in my "expert photographer" card..... drat. Thanks for the update.