Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliajwalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Almost tired of wondering about this... Mac Pro...any wild guesses of refresh dates?

Last edited by a moderator:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Almost tired of wondering about this... Mac Pro...any wild guesses of refresh dates?

When I look at the "evolution" of the cMP I see small incremental changes dragged out over 7 years.

Is PCIe 3.x to drive all those USB-c and Thunderbolt2 as well as a Quadro 6000 (inside an nMP II) ?

Intel's Xeon takes a safe approach to change. Nothing radical. The next Intel Developer Conference (IDC) for one.

UEFI 3.x and 128-bit?? Is there such an animal?

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
I am eager for a proper 4k (or 5k) rev 2.0 Mac Pro. and Apple Display.

Bring it on soon please Apple!

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
Magic 8 Ball says who the hell knows.
Seriously this has been asked every day stop already. Yes we know it is income tax time and you want to blow your money.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Seriously this has been asked every day stop already. Yes we know it is income tax time and you want to blow your money.

If the primary motivator is tax, then I say buy it right now and then sell it again when the new one comes.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
It'd be hilarious if they update with v3 Xeon's at WWDC which will be 10 months old by then and about 2 months from obsolescence.

"Obsolescence is the state of being which occurs when an object, service, or practice is no longer wanted even though it may still be in good working order."

Old? Yes. Obsolete? Eh. Your point about them waiting so long to update if they were just going to use what's on the market is well-made though. That said the processors are the area of the machine least likely to see much improvement no matter what.

aliajwalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014

I'm a professional 3d animator. I spend over 10k on a new system so it's not my income tax it's part of my job. On this stuff uncertainty is highly annoying- I mean they could scrap it. At the moment I have an old Mac pro been waiting years and years it's beyond frustrating. They prefer to sell pink gold watches than support the pro market. Open cl is crap so it one processor.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'm a professional 3d animator. I spend over 10k on a new system so it's not my income tax it's part of my job. On this stuff uncertainty is highly annoying- I mean they could scrap it. At the moment I have an old Mac pro been waiting years and years it's beyond frustrating. They prefer to sell pink gold watches than support the pro market. Open cl is crap so it one processor.

Then you can either buy the fastest new Mac Pro, or buy the classic Mac Pro and upgrade the CPUs and get a 980 from Macvidcards.

Whether they scrap it, or not, it's still going to serve you well and pay for itself very quickly. Otherwise, there is no point in sitting around here and hoping. Make the switch to another hardware manufacturer and run Windows, or Linux. Or you could even go the hackintosh route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.