Mac Pro Possible Updates In September?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 14counter, Aug 27, 2009.

  1. 14counter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    #1
    I know that there is a similar thread relating to this but I just need assurances. I am about to buy an 8 core mac pro. I need the thing because my macbook pro (although a wonderful laptop) isn't quite cutting it anymore for me. I work with Final Cut Studio and heavy HD material and I need the advantage of having more power/speed. Anyways, I am ready to buy the mac pro this very second. The only reason I haven't yet is because I have heard rumors that they will do a processor refresh in september (around the sept. 9 event). The last thing I want to do is buy the mac pro right now and then 2 weeks later see the price drop for the same mac pro I get. What are the chances of this happening? I know it's only two weeks away and I should just be patient just to be sure but I want the thing now! Thanks in advance.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    Nope, because new CPUs aren't coming before 2010 (Gulftown)
     
  3. gugucom macrumors 68020

    gugucom

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    #3
    There are a lot more reasons to think that Apple will not touch the Mac Pros:

    • They have never done it after only 6 months
    • The 2009 pricing points to Mac Pro becoming a cash out product which will see less attention than more.
    • Apple's focus is on mobile and internet service products

    If you need it now don't wait. If they touch the price don't blame me! It is allways a gamble. If you want to be 100% sure wait.
     
  4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

    surflordca

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #4
    You asked if there is a "Mac Pro Possible Updates In September?" Don't hold your breath. Chances are slim to none...
     
  5. roonster macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    #5
    There won't be a processor upgrade but I think there is a small possibility of a price drop. They have dropped the price of Mac Pro's mid update before (two years ago) and there is a lot of noise about the latest range being pricey. Also if you look at the price of the i7 processors since release and the last update then Apple certainly could justify a price drop without hurting profits.

    The event will be in two weeks so if you can wait two weeks then I would do.
     
  6. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #6
    Not in the US.
     
  7. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #7
  8. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #8
  9. yanquis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    #9
    yes, nehalem EX & gulftown are supposed to hit around Q1 2010 i think. which probably means no significant mac pro upgrades til march-june. however, imagine a system w/ 2 gulftowns or two nehalem EX (16 total cores) :cool:

    im saving now :). i like macs but cant justify the cost to performance ratio at this point, when they get quad laptops & next-gen processor chips, i will be in the market, but currently they are just well behind what you can get for windows unfortunately. a mac pro w/ 2 w5590s would cost like 10K+, with no room for upgrades, a very well built PC w/ much better graphics card is maybe 7K tops right now. i could get a better spec machine + a top of the line MBP for the same price. and that MBP would be no good performancewise in two years time or less! i am really hoping the whole line gets a substantial overhaul next year.
     

Share This Page