Mac Pro Power Fan Goes Crazy loud

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kitki83, Feb 19, 2009.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Basically trying to find old post about this issue. All I found similar to my case is this post linky The problem is my fan doesn't stop, it would stay loud until I shut down not restart or sleep my mac pro. This only happens randomly maybe once a month to several times a week. Its very random and awkwardly happens when I am not using the computer (idle mode). Only the power supply fan will do this and it would go up to 2k rpm. Also my MP has plenty of ventilation that heat cannot be a problem and I weekly clean dust build up.

Mac Pro 2007
    3GB ram
    1tb HD
    Nvidia stock graphics card

2. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Any AppleCare left on the machine? If so, save yourself the hassle!

It could be a dodgy temperature readout, keep an eye on the temp when the fans are running at high speed - try iStat pro for monitoring.

Good luck.

3. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still have Apple care, the temperature reads normal or average from what I am use to seeing.

The problem when I take it to Mac Store there is no way I can recreate it.
    Since I may end up taking it in, should I remove the additional HDs with my work files or trust to leave them in MP?

4. ghoztman macrumors regular

I had the same problem, here...

At first I thought my new drives were being indexed by searchlight. The extra-strength an blowing stopped and started intermittently though. When it started, it came on a few minutes after booting up, then it subsided after an hour or so.

I went through the SMC thing, zapping the PRAM, but nothing helped. My system was not running hot, the fans were just psychotic.

I took it in and had to get the logic board replaced. Now it runs quiet as a mouse.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Maybe. I thought this about myself too, but it turned out I had dust building up on the fan port of the video card. I couldn't tell at all until I actually REMOVED the video card from the machine. I found a lot of dust blocking the fan that I was never able to clean while it was in the machine.

The card over-heating had caused the computer fans to run all the time. Doing this solved it for me.

I don't know what card you have, so this might not be it, but it's worth taking the video card out to check it.

6. monoloque macrumors newbie

Have had same problem with my fan

have also tried everything, and its a new mac pro so off-course there is disappointment with the buy.
    It has taken me weeks, months of trouble installing, reinstalling, and a lot of work that hasn't been done. After reading this post, it seems like an obligation of take it to mac store.