Mac Pro Power, on a budget.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jpcompagnone, Jun 17, 2007.

1. jpcompagnone macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Long time reader of macrumors, now a member.

I just had a quick question concerning the mac pro. I'm looking into purchasing one of these machines, but being a first year university student I am on a tight budget (what a suprise). My question concerns the best option to go with on the Mac Pro.

The two options i have narrowed it down to is getting the 2.66 with 1 gig of ram, or the 2.00 with 3 gigs of ram.

How much slower is the 2.00 proc compared to the 2.66 proc, and will it really be that noticable to a user using the computer for multitasking, with limited use of final cut pro and photoshop.

I belive that the 3 gigs of ram is the better deal, but I was just looking for a second opinion.

Thanks in advanced.

Jp

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't buy RAM from Apple, if you are going to.

3. jpcompagnone thread starter macrumors newbie

The ram would definitely not be comming from apple. The prices on that stuff is horrific.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

I have no 1st hand experience (I don't have either machine), but I'd go for the faster one, you can always upgrade the ram later as cash becomes available, whereas if you went the other way, you're as good as you're going to get -> no upgrading. hth.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You are going to take advantage of the student discount right?

If not thats your first step in saving, it will cut the cost down on the computer enough to help you afford RAM from some where else. I would say go for the 2.66 if you have really intensive stuff to do. If you are going to be doing lighter design/photo stuff then the 2.0 is good enough, just remember what's worse then not getting a computer thats not powerful enough, is getting a computer that causes you to eat ramin for a year and it is way more then you need.

7. Glass macrumors member

I went with the 2.0 and upgraded the graphics. I think its a great option! I don't know exactly what the difference would be, but it doesn't bother me.

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair