Mac Pro Power Overload? 4890

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cindori, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

So I recieved my 4890 today and made it work fine in my Mac Pro with 2nd superdrive as power source.

Then I went ahead and installed a Accelero Twin turbo cooler. I took power from the second superdrive for the cooler in addition to powering the card itself.

Upon boot I had no display, no fan movement for 5 sec then all the fans in my mac pro started climbing in speed and stopping on 100% like a turbo jet.

So black screen and no matter what card I use (4890, 8800gt, 7300gt) with superdrive power disconnected, still black display and full tilt fans.

Is my power supply broken? did I somehow overload it?

im guessing this is a issue for my apple store but in a last attempt on saving alot of cash and 2weeks without computer I am asking you guys.

2. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

Your Cards arent getting enough power or Your Bios (or what ever macs use) is corrupted.

3. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

As I said not even my 7300GT works.

And I doubt EFI somehow got corrupted by installing a cooler.

I noticed I had connected power to my cooler which passes another connecter which I though was to plug into the GPU to get temperatures. Turns out that connector was to draw power from the GPU. So basically I had power coming from two directions. So I guess I short circuited my power supply.
    I hope I did not fry my 4890 too... but now I have to wait 2 weeks and pay 400 dollars to find out... sigh.. :(:(:(

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ouch. :(

The 2nd superdrive can't deliver enough power, according to other members who have tried with other cards. You'd need to find the cables (need 2) that plug into the logic board. (ATI sells them).

5. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

The card already worked fine from molex in Crysis etc.

But I must have connected something wrong when I installed my cooler.

Anyway will get 1x logic board cable to divide the power.

Tomorrow im off to apple store with my baby.