Mac Pro powers/boots up but nothing on screens?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jesuslovesacid, Oct 16, 2009.

1. jesuslovesacid macrumors newbie

I switched my mac pro on a couple of weeks ago and it powered up, then booted (made the mac boot noise) but there is nothing on my monitors.

My monitors work fine (tested) I have tried fixing permissions in target disc mode, fine. CD drives open.

I was told the problem was the graphics card - I received my new graphics card today and installed it but still the same problem - nothing on screen

Please help - I pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I live in Ibiza and no one knows anything about mac's here

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Try turning the Mac on and immediately hold the CMD + ALT + P + R keys down and wait for the SECOND bong.

This resets the PRAM.

If this works, I'll take a flight to Ibiza and be the local Mac tech support :D

3. jesuslovesacid thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried this but never got a second bong - what is PRAM?

4. iBug2 macrumors 68040

You can use the computer 100% in Target Disk Mode?

I suggest taking the computer to the nearest apple repair so they can do the diagnostics. Which graphics cards do you have at home to test?

5. jesuslovesacid thread starter macrumors newbie

So it turns out the graphics card I ordered wasn't complatible - I have been told that mac graphics card rarely fail so on advice I put the original ATI Radeon HD 2600XT back in and did some more testing and I have made a very interesting discovery - After trying target disc mode and single user and all that other jazz nothing came up on the screen. Also sometimes target disc mode worked and sometimes it didn't - It turns out that when the monitors are plugged in nothing happens - ie it wont boot in target disc mode / doesnt fully boot (switches off instantly when pressing power off instead of having to hold for a few seconds) But when monitors are plugged out it boots fine

What does that mean??