Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussiechris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
G'day Guys,

I have been having a look around for a solution to my slow network problem, with no luck. Hopefully somebody here can help me.

I have 2 mac pro systems I use for audio and video work. They are on the company network which seems to be 10/100 and a little slow. When I am transferring large files between the two machines (which are on opposite sides of the room) it takes forever because the speed is limited to 100Base-T and not 1000 that the computers can work at. This is no good. I need speed. Can I run a private network on the Ethernet 2 sockets for transferring data between the 2 computers? How can I set it up so that these computers will always choose this private network for transferring data? Will this work when transferring data for Qmaster jobs?

As no other computers will need to be on the network, I assume it is as simple as plugging the two computers together with an Ethernet cable and making sure they can see each other. The hard part is making sure they always use this network and not the company network.

Ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited:

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
I am having a similar ethernet slowdown problem which seems to be relater to the 10..6.6 or 10.6.7 update. Lots of reports over on the Apple discussion boards, but I have not found a workable solution. Suggestions include using a new cable, changing dns settings. Your guess is as good as any.

I have an iMac that seems to have no problem. But my Mac Pro is at about 10% speed.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
As no other computers will need to be on the network, I assume it is as simple as plugging the two computers together with an Ethernet cable and making sure they can see each other. The hard part is making sure they always use this network and not the company network.

OS X automatically prioritises the faster connection, hence will use your GbE connection by default if you transfer files between these two machines only.

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
Changing the order of the networks so that the private network is first in System Preferences should be enough. I used to have a similar setup, and I'm pretty sure that's all I did.

aussiechris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Resolved

G'day Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. After trying a few things, I was still getting horrible speeds. After reordering the networks as stordoff recommended, transfers fly! I am getting much faster speed now, both bursts and sustained transfers. I am about to try compressor and see if Qmaster jobs choose the right network, but as far as Finder goes, I am at full speed. Wonderful!

Thanks stordoff!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.