Mac Pro Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ouphe, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ouphe macrumors regular

Hey all-

So I've done some searching around these forums for advice on how to deal with my Mac Pro issues, but I haven't come across any posts as of yet that describe what I'm dealing with.

So I'm running a Jan '08 Mac Pro (2.8), with an additional 4 Gigs of OWC RAM and an extra 500 GB harddrive installed, and another 500 GB external drive hooked up.

Within the last couple of weeks (I only got the thing about a month ago), the computer hasn't been shutting down when I tell it to, nor restarting. It sleeps fine, but when it wakes up from sleep, sometimes applications don't work right away, or the machine will freeze applications open (though unresponsive), and no amount of Force Quitting will convince them to do so.

On top of that, tonight the icon for my external hard drive disappeared, and I've tried shutting down (using the button on the machine, since it won't shut down via the software) and rebooting, unhooking it and unplugging everything, and nothing is getting that HD to get noticed again.

I partitioned 30 GB of my main hard drive last night to install Windows XP, but I haven't done anything else differently, and the older problems didn't start occurring when I installed anything (otherwise I would have drawn conclusions about the RAM or extra internal drive).

Sorry to be so long-winded, but what I really want to know is, should I take the machine back in? Get it fixed? Replaced? I don't know if this is a known issue, or if I should just wait for a software fix? If I were to take it in, what is involved with that? Can they transfer my files to the new rig?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. This is driving me crazy (especially since up to this point, I've never had any problem with an Apple product)!

2. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

Get it replaced, happened to me similarly in 05. Swap it out.

3. geon macrumors member

Have you done a clean install of the OS X? Mine started to do some strange things so I decided to do the clean install. Prior to that I transferred the OS from the orig. drive to my new drive via super duper....should have just done the clean install. So, far things are running great.

Granted I still don't have a whole lot installed on my machine and have been going slowly.

4. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

Try this:

In the Finder go to Finder > Preferences ... and click on the "General" tab. Make sure "External Disks" is checked to enable display of their icons on the desktop.

5. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses so far: my external's icon actually appeared back on my desktop this morning, though it happened after a Restart of the machine that shouldn't have happened (I told it to sleep!).

I'm thinking I might just call the Apple people and see how quickly they could swap it out for me. The main problem I have with taking it in is that I cannot go even a day without my computer, as I'm a designer and that would be a day of no work, no income, etc etc etc.

Any ideas on how best to approach it? I've never had to get anything repaired or replaced by Apple before. Should I call the store? Contact them through the Apple website? How quickly should I expect the situation to be handled?

Thanks!

6. /\/\ macrumors regular

yesterday I got my mac pro

I have a problem: after I updated from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 the front line-out is not working any more?!!!

But the rear line-out is working!!!

7. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

Just pulled out the 4 gigs of OWC RAM and my Mac Pro is now turning off without having to hold down the power button. Time will tell if all the problems are solved (though it seems like another external drive of mine has stopped working in the interim).

I'll post again when I know for sure that it was the RAM causing the problems.