Mac Pro processor configuration question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cyberjunky, Mar 14, 2008.

1. cyberjunky macrumors regular

If i bought a mac pro, with default config of Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, and im looking to host a VM with dual screen configuration so windows one screen osx another, will windows run at near native speed because of the sheer performance of the processors or will it lag?

Ive tried a multitued of VM solutions, VMWare Fusion, Parallels, Q etc and they all seem to run so slow, i even tried a game or 2 using CrossOver for mac, but bear in mind im using a C2D 1.8 Macbook.

So with this in mind will other host OS's run super fast and smooth when virtualised as if they werent. I know the mac pro has a lot of power in it.

Also, is the Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon worth the £1,009 upgrade? what would i get out of it?

For the most part, i wish to use the machine as a developing platform for C/C++ and smalltalk, possibly some other languages. I also wish to play windows and mac games.

Thanks

2. Bigsam411 macrumors member

The default cpu config should be fine for running a VM. My macbook pro 2.2 ran xp and vista fine under Parallels w/ 2gb ram and even better with 4gb ram. As far as gaming goes I would not use a vm but instead use boot camp since it runs Games so much better.

In short Default cpu will work fine and 2 or 4 gigs of ram will suffice for running a VM.

3. cyberjunky thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, just want to ensure that its a better than average experience is all..whenever apple gives allowance for more hardware than one needs in the mac pro is tempting to max it out.