Mac Pro Processor Install Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dbam987, Jul 21, 2008.

1. dbam987 macrumors regular

Is it possible to replace a processor on the mac pro? Or is it soldered onto the board...? I'm thinking of getting the single quad-core version of the Mac Pro, then in the future install the second processor. My other option is to get a refurbished Mac Pro that has both processors already installed.

I'm leaning towards the second option at the moment. Good thing I have about 6 months to work with before I need to make a decision.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Mac Pro processors are replaceable. We've hit a dead end, though, as Nehalem won't fit into the current and previous sockets.

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If you're referring to the octo-core both cores are in zif sockets. These things don't come cheap though since they're Xeon.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Yes, but it is cheaper to buy it from Apple at the same time you order your Mac Pro and you get the advantage of having both CPUs covered by AppleCare.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you have a need for all 8 cores or in the near future I would just get both processors now. Though you could always get a refurb Quad 2.66 which is blazing fast and in two or three years toss two Quad 3.2's in there for dirt cheap.

Hopefully this will bring back the days of Powerlogix, Sonnet, Gigadesigns, Daystar etc... They brought a G3 card to the Performa 6400 and hooked it to the L2 Cache slot. Or a 601 card to 680x0 Macs which where two completely different architectures.

Given all of that I could see one or two of them making an adapter to connect a Nehalem CPU into current Mac Pros. It's got to be easier to make a generational adapter like this then hooking a processor into an L2 cache slot never designed for a CPU or the complete architecture difference between 680x0 and PowerPC.

6. dbam987 thread starter macrumors regular

I have thought about going with the refurbished 2x Xeon Dual-Cores, but wasn't sure on if they would be upgradable to 2x quad-core's. I might end up just getting one of the refurbed octo-core's I see pop up in the Apple Store's refurbished section from time to time to avoid the hassle of having to upgrade later.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

7. dbam987 thread starter macrumors regular

Refurbished Q

If I choose to get a refurbished Mac Pro, would it ship in a generic card-board box or would it get packaged in a box like in a new Mac Pro?

8. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Mine last year was shipped in a brown "Refurbished" box.

9. jons macrumors 6502

Yeah, they ship in a brown box labeled "Apple Re-certified"