Mac Pro PSU to power G4 MDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kirkbross, Jan 5, 2011.

1. kirkbross, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I have an ailing dual 867 G4 MDD which I think has a faulty PSU... to test the theory, can I just plug the 20 pin connector of my early2008 Mac Pro into the mobo of the G4 and power it up? (leaving the PSU mounted in the Mac Pro).

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

I don't know whether that would work but there are guides online that show how to alter a normal ATX PSU so that it can be used in a PowerMac G4.

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

So I got the logic board out and noticed several HUGE clumps of dust underneath, the largest being right under the RAM DIMM slot area.

Could balls of dust short something causing a no boot situation and if so, now that I've cleaned it, should I reassemble the computer and try to power it on again?

4. flatfoot macrumors 65816

That might be possible but there's also a chance that the board is already dead due to the shorts. I'd try anyway.

5. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

Even if they share the same connector, I think the G4's PSU pinout is slightly different from the standard. I would look for pinout description or safer and easier, measure the voltages at the PSU plug of the G4. If you measure strange voltages (anything which is clearly not 0V, +-3.3V, +-5V, or +-12V), there's a good chance it's the PSU...