Mac Pro Purchase Dawning

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by A.Fairhead, Apr 13, 2007.

  1. A.Fairhead macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #1
    Hi guys,

    I've been saving for a Mac Pro for over a year now, and I had always penciled this June to make the purchase. I'm shooting for the following (at this point):

    Two 2.66Ghz DualCore Intel Xeon (Considering 3.0, although the 8-cores are a little expensive.)
    4GB RAM (1gb from Apple, shifting it out for some Crucial RAM)
    The ATI Radion X1900 Graphics card
    2 HDs, a 500GB and a 750GB (Leaving the others empty for later)
    Two 16x superdrives
    BT2.0 and APE
    Wireless kb&m
    a 30" cinema display (made easier by the price drop)
    ACPP.

    Given that Leopard isn't coming out for a good while now, I figured I could get this early and get the new OS next year, or something. I'm also getting a MacBook with 2GB RAM and and 80GB HD (+ACPP etc.), but from all this Santa Rosa chat I'm figuring this is better off holding out for until Summer? Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

    Anyway - Given WWDC and such is on the way, I thought I'd draw from the knowledge of you lot to see whether you think now is a good time to purchase (the Buyer's Guide certainly thinks so :))

    Cheers in advance guys,
    A.Fairhead
     
  2. A.Fairhead thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #2
    Thinking of making a purchase this week, hope someone can help out here! :)
     
  3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
    #3
    I got my 2.66 GHz Mac pro about a month ago, great !!!!

    I would say go for it, you won't be disappointed. :)

    Sorry forgot to mention the Mac Book, perhaps wait a while.

    FJ
     
  4. A.Fairhead thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #4
    I'm feeling I should wait for the next revision for the MacBook, given the integrated graphics will get a healthy boost, as I hear.

    This MacBook revision going to be big enough to hold off for?

    *Pencils in *tonight* for the Mac Pro purchase* :)
     
  5. marvinsum macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2007
    #5
    If you really need a portable computer, then you should buy it now. I bought my MacBook 3 weeks ago and I'm really happy with my purchase. Intel is releasing better chipsets/graphics in May, but as to how long Apple will take to integrate it, your guess is as good as mine.

    They might even wait till Leopard's launch to roll out new hardware, which would suck if it was really in October. Just buy the MacBook if you need it.
     
  6. A.Fairhead thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #6
    Just bought the Mac Pro :D Should be with me by next weekend.

    Holding off the MB until more information is available about what's going on with it :)
     
  7. akadmon macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    New England
    #7
    That would mean you're buying the 500 GB drive from Apple. Don't. Just get the stock 250 GB Apple drive and get a couple 500 GB Western Digitals from Newegg. I love my WDs -- they're fast and quiet. Unfortunately WD doesn't make 750HB drives yet. Keep that last spot open for when they do, or rip out the 250 and put it in an external enclosure. That way you'll have room for 2 WD 750s when they come out.
     
  8. A.Fairhead thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #8
    Price-wise there wasn't a problem getting the 500 and 750GB HD from Apple, and the 750 is going to be my backup drive for the 500 (partitioned to 600Gb and 150GB, the 600GB being the backup, as it's recommended to have a drive bigger than what youre backing up; the remaining 120 will be divided between storage and scratch disks)

    Made sense to go straight from Apple from what I saw :apple::)
     
  9. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #9
    So you are paying $129 to upgrade to a 500GB drive and $499 for the 750?

    newegg pricing has 500GB WD drives for $130 and 750 for $255.

    So from newegg you'd end up with 1.5TB for $385 and from Apple 1.25TB for $630.
     
  10. fairnymph macrumors 6502

    fairnymph

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2007
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    #10
    Seriously, it's way cheaper to buy the RAM and HDs separately.
     
  11. A.Fairhead thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #11
    I always thought NewEgg was US only? I live in England - my options are far reduced :p Hense why I figured it to be similar in price
     
  12. fairnymph macrumors 6502

    fairnymph

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2007
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    #12
    How about ebay? I've gotten some great deals on HDs there before. Many sellers will ship to the UK (I always ship internationally).

    Or you can have a friend buy for you and ship to you as a gift.
     
  13. A.Fairhead thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #13
    How much money would I be able to save? The order is in place - if I'll be saving a few hundred £ It'll be worth changing it - if it's less I could imagine the 'its already there working' factor of getting it straight from Apple will keep it from needing a change..?
     
  14. FireArse macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2004
    #14
    Congrats

    I got a Mac Pro a week after they were released. I sold the Dual G5 especially for it. I haven't looked back since. Its the stock 2.66 with BT. I need 2x1GB of RAM at least.

    But God those RAM prices arent nice. I'm hoping a trip to NY will sort that out, cos I'm not paying these silly UK prices.

    F
     
  15. mashinhead macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2003
    #15
    Oh, so you're used to paying too much for everything.;)
     
  16. A.Fairhead thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #16
    Hahah, I'm used to Apple's "way" of dealing with us over here :rolleyes:

    While I'm familiar with eBay and the like, getting it from elsewhere to shave only a small cost doesn't seem worth it - the RAM seems to be a different ballgame - crucial uk do a very good deal for what I had in mind.

    Apple's HDs should do just fine, as far as I can see :) Correct me if you see a better option :p :)
     
  17. Keebler macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Location:
    Canada
    #17
    looks like a rocking system.

    i'm on the dawn of a mac pro too.

    suddenly, i can hear the "Jaws" theme again :)

    just a matter of time :)
     
  18. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
    #18
    Congrats, enjoy :) :)

    FJ
     
  19. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #19
    Just over £150 if you bought the drives from www.scan.co.uk
     

Share This Page