Mac Pro Purchase question 1st time buyer for the Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by southside2006, May 2, 2008.

1. southside2006 macrumors newbie

I am thinking of buying a mac pro, can anyone tell me if they run quit or how much noise do they make? I have Dell right now and it is pretty quit. And is this also a good choice for Adobe CS3 I do a lot of photo editing stuff.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh... QUIET. Yes, they're completely quiet. The loudest thing in them is the hard drive.

3. southside2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry my typing was off do to a broken finger :) Thank you. I did mean quiet and how do they run with CS3?

4. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

They run very well.

They never quite quit to be quiet either.

5. iPapa macrumors member

The term "quiet" tends to be subjective. Have a look around in other threads and you're likely to find both those who claim their MP is "completely quiet", and those who say their MP is noisy.

My MP (2.8GHz 8-core) has got 4 internal HDs, the 8800GT grahpics card, and 10 gigs of RAM. The Mac makes a constant sound, part of it is due to the 4 HDs, part because of the graphics card's fan, and part because of the MPs own internal fans. The noise is a humming kind of sound no matter if the Mac is idle or under heavy use. The temps never get too hot, and the fans run at their lowest possible rpms most of the time.

However there are actually times I can hear my MPs noise even when I'm using headphones, so... quiet it is not. When I put it to sleep, it is dead slient though.

There are ways of silencing the machine. I haven't tried any of those tricks yet, but I'll look into it. I've just been too busy working (ignoring the MPs noise) instead :D

Your other question concerning CS3: It works great. No problems at all, everything is rock solid and lightening fast.

The MP is a great machine, noisy or not. You won't go wrong with it.

6. drrich2 macrumors member

I have a MacPro (2.8GHz 8-core) with 2 internal 1 terabyte HDs (1 Apple stock, 1 Samsung F1), the 8800GT grahpics card, and 10 gigs of RAM (2 from Apple stock, the rest from OWC).

Mine is on my desktop sitting just to my right, right now, and it's very, very quite. I could easily not realize it's on if not listening closely.

I didn't consider my old 2 1/2 year old (nearly) Dell XPS 3.2 GHz 840 series PC noisy until I got used to my MacPro; the Dell is substantially louder, but only by comparison.

Mine is the only MacPro I've been around, so take my anecdotal report for whatever it's worth.

Richard.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

With three hard drives, two graphics cards, etc, my Mac Pro is very, very quiet-quieter than my laptop, quieter than my dad's iMac, and if I took out the only things I typically hear (the HD2600 and the smallest of my three hard drives) I'd never hear it.

9. AnthonyG macrumors newbie

It is silent except the hard drive, but I can't complain because the raptor in my PC is 10x louder than the hard drive in the MP. The only time you can hear any fan is when you wake it up from sleep the graphics card's fan whirls up for a sec or so and thats it. I don't know if there is a fix or not...

10. threeloaves macrumors newbie

I have a 2 x 2.8 quad core all the bays are loaded - its very quiet, brand new, and for sale!
    Contact me if you're interested: chippedham@gmail.com