Mac Pro Purchase, should i wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nxfxcom, Sep 30, 2009.

  1. nxfxcom macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    #1
    Hello,

    i am getting ready to sell my Early 2008 Mac Pro, and want to update to the Nehalem 2.93 Ghz, but usually when i buy a new one, the new model comes always out a week or so later.

    So, my question should i spend 6k on the current Nehalem, or should i wait a little bit and get the next one? And any ideas when? Or what it will offer?

    Thank you
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    It'll likely have Gulftown which is 6-core (2 x 6 = 12), and it'll be available in 2010, maybe Q1 but likely later on. It's worth it so if you can wait, wait
     
  3. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    #3
    I can never wait, but if it would be Q1 that would be acceptable!
     
  4. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #4
    I would have no problem buying now. The potential updates are a long way away and will likely only see a small speed bump and maybe BR.
     
  5. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #5
    This next processor upgrade will be quite significant. Wait if you can.
    Maybe even lease one for a few months if possible.
     
  6. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    #6
    Thanks everybody, i guess i will wait, with the current onces i probably would get only a 30% speed increase from what i have seen


    Thanks
     

Share This Page