Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Graphics Upgrade Path

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Aztech, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Aztech macrumors newbie

Heya...

I my myself a Mac Pro Quad, as detailed on this page;

http://www.designedinca.com/macs/mac_pro/aug2006/quad2666/

Can someone outline for me what options iv got in terms of graphics card upgrade, kinda confused about this and would like to get something sorted.

As i understand it, the nVidia 8800 is the best card for the Mac Pro's at current, but iv been informed that it will not work in this model of the system. BUT (and theirs always a but), iv just been informed that their is a new version of this 8800 coming out which will be compatible, can anyone shed some light on this for me !

Otherwise, as said just point me towards what upgrades can actually be made !

Thx in advance !

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

We're still waiting to see what Apple does...

3. Aztech thread starter macrumors newbie

With the 8800 im guessing is what you mean... have their been any additional rumors about this, how long have people been waiting ?

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

There were rumors of someone receiving an email reply from Steve Jobs saying they were working on the issue. Then, there's a statement from someone from nVidia. Even people from Blizzard have inquired...

I guess everyone's been waiting since the card was announced.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Wait, who informed you that the new version of 8800's were coming? Person @ apple or just someone on this forum?

6. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

Well for now the best card you can get is the X1900 XT.

Hopefully Apple will do something about the card, though at this point that's still largely unsubstantiated.

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

Apple is probably doing the same thing they did with Time Capsule. Hold back Airport Extreme Air/Disk Time Machine backups to sell as many Time Capsules as possible (until people give up on the idea of them properly supporting it) and then when they get as many sales as they can, wait 15 days and enable the support.

They are waiting until they squeeze as many people who would just buy the 8800 to buy a new Mac Pro, and then 15 days later they will announce the 8800 compatibility with the older Mac Pro.

Just a hunch.

Bastardly thing to do, but good for my share price, I guess.