mac pro quad core and some questions?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DJJONES, Jan 18, 2009.

1. DJJONES macrumors 6502

hey guys

im in the market for a macpro.

now my sister is gonna purchase my old desktop, its a hp m8120n with a quad core q6600 2.4ghz with 640gb hd space and 3gigs ram.
    shes gonna pay $500.

my main usage out of this computer is production and remxing with acid pro.
    this program is only useable in xp.

right now i have no issues running large projects, and from my understanding a macpro quad core model has even more power then my current pc. so i should be safe right guys?

now i do want to still run osx of course but i want my xp partition also, is it possible to to partition it to another drive beside the main one?

also i know there are supposed to be updates etc etc, but i dont want to spend 3k for a macpro because i dont see the speed bumps of the new macpro really benefitting me when a q6600 is already doing more then its share of the job, but now i wonder if the new ones come out if the price for the old quad core 2.8 will be cheaper? or go on clearance?

i found a macpro on j and r.com for 2,279 free shipping no tax and its basically the model i want, anyone know of a place cheaper?
    http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_MA970LL1/#productTabDetails

also if there is a new macpro on the way anyone know if they will keep quad core configurations or will it all be octo core only?

do you guys think the quad core macpro is a waste?
    i want this machine to last for a while, probably the last addition to my small home studio.:)

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I do believe that a Quad Core MP has very low bang for the buck as compared to the octo core version.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nehalem Mac Pro in June. They'll be all 8-core.

DO NOT buy a 4-core. They have a crappy resell value and they're not worth the upgrade later.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, you can use a separate drive for windows. :) You won't even need to use Boot Camp.

The second processor is best purchased with the system to begin with. To do it on your own, it will cost far more than the $500 increase for a new system from Apple. The E5462 was $823 last I looked, and the cooler for $102. Almost twice as much. :eek:

Given the pricing you have for the single CPU version, you might want to take a serious look at refurbished systems. They've been fully tested, and have the same warranty as the new models, so there's no increased risk. You can even buy an extended warranty (Apple Care). Personally, the savings are well worth it. You could pick up an octo core unit for something like $2400 or so. Not worth trying to use the quad core version IMO.

Just look around, but keep in mind they don't stick around long. Not even for a day. So if you locate one that fits your needs, be prepared to buy immediately.

Hope this helps.

5. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

i was thinking going 8 core would be a waste for me since 2.8ghz 4 core is more then enough for my work.

im no so much worried about resale value as i dont plan on selling it anytime soon after.

is 2279 not a good price for the quad core mp?

i will be using more of the power on the xp side and not on osx.
    or should i just go xp, i really dont want to spend more then 2.5k on the mp, 2800 is way to much even though it is a bargain i do agree, just dont want to spend it due to the fact that i mostlikely will never utilize all that power.

6. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

In which case your existing machine should be more then enough for your needs. :)

7. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah thats true, it is.
    but my sister needs a desktop, and i figured it would be a win win situation, she get a new desktop i get a new one :D

ok beyond that,
    any other places beside j and r that i can check some mp's out?
    free shipping and tax free is what im after.

2279 is the lowest so far ? any help on this?

8. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

Might as well build an i7 system.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Given what the OP is indicating for computer needs, I agree. :)

Even the i7 920 would outperform a singe 2.8GHz Xeon 5400 series, and can be done for the same money, assuming absolutely every single part would be needed. If there's already something lying around that can be recycled, all the better cost wise. :D

10. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont really have the knowledge or confidence to build a computer

i also wanted something with osx also for when i dont need xp.

i did price a velocity micro with either a 2.83 or 3.0ghz 4 gigs ram 2x500 gb hd's xp basically what i need, it ranges from 1534 for the 2.8 and 300 more for the 3.0.

but no osx :(

eh i will keep searching and see if i find something i like,
    i really do like the macpro over the velocity micro because of osx.

dont get me wrong im not in need of more power just looking for a upgrade that i can keep for a long time.

macmall has good prices also, how long does that rebate take to get back? any one know

11. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I think people around here tend to hate on the single quad option.
    yeah, it doesn't make any sense to add a second xeon now, but those chips are going to keep coming down in price.....
    anyway, regardless of that, if a quads plenty for you, dive in. sure, it's not quite as good a value as the octo, but meh, whatyagonnado?

regardless of what the others here think, if it suites your needs, why not?

12. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

Why not just use your MBP until the iMac update comes out if you really want os x? The iMac would more than exceed what you are doing w/o breaking the bank; Or just save up until Summer for new MPs

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Buy an i7 920 based computer, and make it into a Hackintosh. :)

There's a lot of info floating around on how to do it, and IIRC, a few members have already done this as well on existing systems.

14. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

oh wow great advice man i guess i can always just sell my desktop to my sister and use the mbp xp side until i save up more money.

what are the supposed specs for the imac's?