Mac Pro quad upgradable to octo?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bootedbear, Jan 21, 2008.

1. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

I'm finally going to replace my venerable mirror-door PowerMac G4 with a Mac Pro.

This is a home machine that will primarily be used for hobbyist type stuff and light-weight web development.

The heaviest-duty work it will be put to is the occasional use of Final Cut Express for video editing.

As such, I'm thinking of "downgrading" to the quad-core option and saving myself $500 to spend on 3rd party memory and disks.

The only reason I can think of to go the full 8 cores is to "future proof" the machine for as long as possible. As evidenced by my current system, I like to keep my desktops around for a long time before turning them over.

So... if the quad system could be easily upgraded to the octo by simply adding a CPU, I'd definitely go with the quad knowing that I could add a CPU later should I feel the need for the extra cores.

So anybody know if the quad system could be made into an octo just by dropping in a second quad at a later date?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hi bootedbear,

You might be interested in this thread they are trying to figure it out too. At the time of this posting it looks like there is an open CPU slot on the motherboard... now the question is will it work!

3. bootedbear thread starter macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Thanks Raid. I did a search, but apparently my terms could have been better!

4. schalliol macrumors regular

Upgrade 2007 Quad-core Mac Pro To Octo-core?

I bought a Mac Pro after the 8-core introduction in 2007, but I bought the 4-core because that's all I needed at the time. I saw that someone upgrade theirs before the 8-core launch to 8-core, but I wondered if anyone around here upgraded their dual dual-core CPUs, and to what if so? I would be interested to know if there's an Intel chip that is the top-end that will work with the included MB in the unit, so I can watch prices on that chip and buy a couple when they drop. Ideas?

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I think we're getting a bit confused here.

The original Intel Mac Pro was offered with the dual-core Xeon. So each CPU had two cores and you could have up to two CPUs, for a total of four cores.

The current Mac Pro is offered with a quad-core Xeon. So each CPU has four cores and you can have up to two CPUs, for a total of eight cores.

There is no eight-core CPU, nor will there be in the Xeon family currently used by the Mac Pro. We will not see an eight-core CPU option in the Mac Pro until the move to the Gainestown CPU (part of Intel's Nehalem / Core i7 line), which will likely not happen until Q1 2009.

As to the Mac Pros, both of them can be purchased with one or two CPUs. If you buy one with one CPU, you can install a second one later. I strongly recommend you buy them with two because they are designed to use a special CPU cooler and this cooler is only available from Apple. And they might not be selling it without a CPU attached. You can sometimes find them on eBay from folks parting out dead machines, but they're not common so they are not inexpensive.

Also, the Xeon CPUs themselves are not inexpensive, so taken together, you might very well spend more then the $500 up-front cost to add a second CPU. And by getting both CPUs at the time you purchase your system, both are covered under Apple's warranty. If you buy a second one later, it is only covered under Intel's warranty (which I believe is three years) and you will need to work through Intel for service, rather then take it down to the Genius Bar (if one is conveniently close).

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Try reading this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=453491

Especially digitalperforme's posts.

7. schalliol macrumors regular

Thanks for the link! I'll be checking it out over there.

No, we're on the same page, and your point about the add-on needed for the additional 2.8 is helpful. I was looking for that info, and also what would be possible to upgrade the old 2.66 units to, as it might be more cost effective to pick up the newer quad-core Intel chips that work in the 2006 MP than buy a new MP in the future.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes you can upgrade it, but you will need to buy the same speed CPU.