Mac Pro Quad vs Hex

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j1mm82, Oct 6, 2010.

1. j1mm82 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I work as a Junior editor/compositor working mainly on mac pro's, for a major post production house. Having started to work on my own personal animation and 3D graphics based projects (Title sequences. Idents etc) and edits (mostly 1080p ProRes)

I have decided to finally bite the bullet and purchase my own Mac Pro and have decided to consult the superior wisdom that lies in these forums.

My Choice is either the standard Quad which i will add 2xHDD and bump the memory upto 16GB (purchased seperate) and most likely take the graphics card up to the 5870

or

A Hexcore with the 5770 with and additonal HDD and a memory bump to at least 8GB (purchased seperate)

I can afford the quad without any financial concern. My issue is will the Quad surfice concidering that I am going to be using Nuke, After Effects, FCP, CS5, Motion and Cinema 4D to create work. Or do i need the additional power of the Hex which although being at the very top end of my budget does deliver a significant increase in power.

Any advice would be greatfully received. I must emphasize that i am not just a hobbyist this purchase is an important part of my professional development.

Many Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You could buy the quad and then upgrade the CPU later on. It will actually be cheaper than from Apple. Looks like you would benefit from the extra CPU speed but if you're still an amateur or semi-pro, the quad should be fine. Then when you have the $, spend it on 6-core if needed

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo