Mac Pro Quadcore 2X2.4Ghz 2010 or 6core 3,33Ghz 2010?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by the lucas, Nov 23, 2010.

1. the lucas macrumors newbie

Question as listed above

Want to use the machine for film editing with Final Cut and/or Avid Media Composer

For now I know for sure the 6core has lower amount of RAM slots.
    Am wondering if it is worth to pay for a stronger 6core processor if the difference will be just noticeable.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Go with the 6-core. It offers more raw CPU power and in single-threaded tasks it's A LOT faster. E.g. Final Cut is still single-threaded. 6-core can take 32GB of RAM so it shouldn't be an issue, just get some 8GB modules

3. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

If your making money on this purchase, get the 6 core. Better performance. Like hellhammer said, get 8gb moduals to max it out. You can always sell it down the road when software will actually take advantage of all the cores.

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

And it seems like the ram kits from Transintl have gotten cheaper.

I bought 24GB (3x8GB) for my 6core from them in September for $894 but now the price seems to be $688.

Slightly bugs me when that happens >_>

5. the lucas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for all the replies. Eventually have bought Hexacore's monster. First impression - awesome!!!

Vylen could u propose some reliable RAM resellers distributing worldwide (Europe-Poland)?. For now i have found this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory

has anyone have experience with them?

all best

6. Vylen macrumors 65816

Most people here buy from OWC... so there's nothing wrong with buying from them.

Other people buy from Transintl, like how I did... Prices are cheaper, but there's always shipping to consider. Transintl doesn't have set shipping prices outside of America, so if you purchase from them, they'll email you a quote on shipping then ask you if you're ok with the charge.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Crucial EU is also good if you're in Europe. Buying from overseas may always cause extra fees such as the customs. OWC is great as well though