Mac Pro Questions about storage

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kurenai04, Jan 26, 2008.

1. kurenai04 macrumors newbie

ok guys i have 2 TB worth of storage i raid 3 of my 4 drives to 1.36 TB would it be safe for me to put any data on the raid 0 drives as storage or not ..... the reason i raid 0 was so i didnt have so many drives on my desktop not for performance.

2. MikeL macrumors 6502

Oh my. I can't say I've ever heard of a dumber reason.

3. Mase macrumors newbie

word i agree...i didnt even understand the question. OP, Raid 0 is not very safe, it has no redundancy but it just increases performance. Perhaps you should search up some topics about raid. You could find plenty of them.:cool:

4. kurenai04 thread starter macrumors newbie

what im really asking is should combine all drives using JBOD or should i just stick with 1 boot drive and raid 0 the other 3 drives for storage i plan on using the 3 drives to store my high def movies for streaming and i just want 1 drive visible instead of 3 separate drives.

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Maybe you'd be better off selling the 3 smaller drives and buying one large one to replace them?

6. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

If all you're concerned about is number of volumes, go with JBOD, at least in the case of a failure, you will still have a chance of recovering some of your data. If speed is not your goal, then don't RAID 0. You should expect to lose everything stored on a RAID 0 any day.

Think about it this way, if there's a 5% chance that any one drive will fail, then in a RAID 0 with 3 drives, you'll have a 15% chance that it your array will fail. People who take this risk only do so because they need the speed, and probably back up the array religiously.

JBOD can keep on going if one drive dies. You only lose the data on the one drive.

RAID 5 would be ideal for your needs.

7. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

I concur !

Safe? NO! Since you have 3 drives left, RAID 5 would be better, but you
    lose a bit of storage due to parity. Gazfocus is right, why not just get one
    big drive then?:confused:

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I have an easier solution. Go to Finder preferences, select General, uncheck the Hard disks under Show these items on the Desktop.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Best (and cheapest) option of the lot.

Never heard of a worse reason for having a RAID 0 array.

10. PodPacker macrumors regular

PodPacker

What is the Stock 1TB drive with New Mac Pro?

I am looking to purchase a 1TB drive for the Mac Pro. I bought mine through a reseller and got too awesome a deal to pay for a BTO from Apple. I have been looking online for these "phantom" 32MB Cache drives but I come across conflicting in on most tech specs. The site will list as 32MB cache and the tech specs for same model will state 16MB cache.

Help! I'm running out of space fast.::eek:

11. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

I must reiterate: JBOD, think JBOD... go with JBOD (just a bunch of disks)

Open Disk Utility, for "RAID Type" choose "concatenated disk set." Add your 3 drives, click "create".

Done, and disaster is avoided.