Mac Pro questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chinarider, Dec 30, 2008.

1. chinarider macrumors regular

No, not the usual "Should I buy now?" - I'm going to wait to see what happens in the next couple of months, but I'm doing my research now.

Recent PC switcher here (After many years away - My last was Macintosh SE) - Got my MBP last year, and now it's time top replace my desktop. She takes 10 minutes to fully boot now, and the death wheeze is getting louder. I forgot when I bought her, so I looked her up this morning and she will be SIX in 2 weeks!

Next is my list is a Pro - I'll be running FC Studio mostly some CS3 maybe CS4 soon. Some gaming is on the list too, but this will really be a work machine, otherwise I'd go with a PC Rig. I never installed bootcamp on my MBP but will on this, and haven't decided if I'd do parallels or fusion - I'll see if I really need to or not.

My questions:

1) Sound - The card is always a choice for PC, but it looks integrated here - And I didn't find much info on Apple's site. Are there any other options out there that I should be considering? For editing, I'll probably run that audio through an Aja.

2) Speaking of Aja, I have an IO for the MBP, but will probably install a Kona on the Pro. Does anyone prefer BlackMagic? (I know, I'll probably repeat this in the Digital Video Forum)

3) Video Card - I'll probably get the 8800. Has anyone been able to add an 8800 in SLI mode? The posts I found when I searched didn't really help.

4) What is the verticle slot on the left on the back of the Pro? Couldn't figure that one out from the photos.....

5) Storage I'll consider later - I bought 4T this year and run FW RAID, But I'm not doing HD yet. I figure I'll add a RAID card at some point, but trying to prioritize....

6) FCP - Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read that I can install it on a second machine, just not use both at once (Which is fine)

7) Monitor - Not in the budget yet - I have the Dell 2408 WFP that I'll start with until I can afford an ACD or similar. But eventually, I'd like at least one 30", 2 if I really start to get more work here at home.

I can't think of anything else - I'm sure I will as soon as I hit 'Submit' though....

Thanks in advance...

Tom

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. It's not possible. I asked that the day that this model came out.
    4. The handle to open it...
    6. No, that'd break the EULA.
    7. Eh? You already have a monitor that will work just fine. Do you know the panel in it?

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I was under the impression that the EULA for FCP allowed you to install on one laptop and one desktop?

taken from http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/finalcutstudio2.pdf

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5. jamoctopus macrumors newbie

So i'm confused when are you buying one?
    can u let me know which one you're buying?
    [​IMG]

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Nehalem one. In several months.

7. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Not only does the EULA say that you may, in practice you can.

I installed FCS on my Mac Pro and then, a few weeks later, on my MBP. No problem installing, registering, updating, etc. Both installations were accepted as legal installations, as the EULA implied they would be.

If you try to run two copies on machines on the same network, the second instance will not run -- FCP detects that another instance with the same serial number is running on another machine. So the "not at the same time" condition does have teeth.

8. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I had heard - Thanks!

9. Kace macrumors regular

2. I haven't tried Kona but Blackmagic Intensity Pro works well with FCS. I remember having trouble initially but once sorted it worked like a charm.

3. I don't think you can add another 8800 in SLI. Perhaps if you install Windows it would work but not on OS X.

4. Latch to release the side cover.

5. Disable Airport on the second machine and FCS works just fine. Though I would presume you would be in violation of the EULA.

Wait for the new ones, they would be awesome. Though I have to say my two year old 2.66 Quad is still pretty awesome. x1900xt is quite dated though. Good luck with your purchase.

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Or you could turn your airport off on one machine. ;)

As for a monitor... the best value would probably be to stick with your 24", and add another one later on. 24" is plenty of space for editing, adding another monitor would just be gravy.

That said, if you get enough work and can afford two 30" displays, more power to you. :D

11. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

The LATCH! Doh!

Thanks for the replies. I don't imagine I'll be using both computers with FCS at once unless I grow another set of hands....

It will be intersesting to see what the next couple of months bring! Of course I played this waiting game last year, too, with my MBP - Ready to buy in December, wait for Macworld in January, actual Penryn release is end of Feb.....

12. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Sheesh, guys. Of course. I was trying to stick to the "don't give advice on how to do illegal things" rule.

13. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Hmmm..seems not fair

I'd say if you have two machines being used by the same person, you should be able to run both at the same time. What if you have the fcp importing, or compressor running on your macpro, but still want to edit on your mbp?

Are you lucky enough just to buy a second license for a small fee? :eek:

14. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Fair or not, it's common, and that kind of licensing isn't a new thing.

MS Office (and maybe some of their other products) let you have more than one installation, and don't check at runtime, but there's some form of checking at "activation" time.

Photoshop CS4 (the only Adobe suite product I have) allows two installs, and doesn't appear to check over the network.

As others have pointed out, it's easily circumvented by keeping one of the machines off your network.

15. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

Office

I'll be using my Office 2008 as well, but not on 2 machines at the same time - I rarely use it now.....

16. onthewave macrumors newbie

onthewave

AJA SUPPORT superior to BLACKMAGIC

Just a comment on AJA vs BlackMagic. Both have great products, I use the KONA 3 and previously DECKLINK and HDLINK from Blackmagic. Here's a key purchase factor. Support from AJA is INCREDIBLE and you need it with those type of PRO video Products.

Good luck! :cool::apple::rolleyes:
    h