Mac Pro Radeon X2900?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hamiltod, Apr 21, 2007.

1. hamiltod macrumors newbie

Hey all,

So, today's my lucky day and my Radeon X1900XT in my Mac Pro just up and fried itself. Tried a billion different things, no dice. Luckily I still had the stock nVidia card sitting in the closet, so I'm back on that thing, but I'm looking at having to replace the Radeon.

That said, are there any indiciations of when (if at all) a Mac Pro version of the Radeon X2900 might appear? There were rumors that it would arrive with the octocore Mac Pros, but that obviously did not happen. I was planning on getting the X2900 anyway whenever it it showed up for Mac, and if it's expected to be within the next few months I'd rather just wait to get that, rather than replacing the nVidia with ANOTHEr X1900, only to buy an X2900 in five months or whatever.

Any thoughts?

Daniel

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

didn't you know it's coming out next Tuesday™?

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I think it is likely there will be a Mac Pro refresh sometime this summer. Based on rumours, roadmaps and applying a little logic I would assume that such a revision will include the 2900 cards (a number of rumours), the Stoakley platform and Xeon chips at their new price point. The only date I'm aware of for any of that is that Xeon chips will recieve their price drop in July and the other two are "comming soon". Now I'm sure Apple are one of a number of those testing the Stoakley platform, and I imagine they also have access to 2900 cards so I think we might see a revised Pro shortly after other vendors start implementing such things. I can't really think of anything else that would hint more at a date. I don't know how quickly the cards will be available on their own though, I'm not sure of the precedent for such things.